all posts post new thread

Bodyweight What % of bodyweight is actually lifted during a pull-up?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JasonRVA

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm trying to calculate percentages of 1RM for a weighted pull-up to figure out what poundage I'm actually pulling.

I realize that I'm not lifting my entire bodyweight (e.g., forearms are staying static).

Should I worry about a "percent of bodyweight" calculation or am I overthinking it?

I'm trying to calculate percentages of 1RM for a weighted pull-up to figure out what poundage I'm actually pulling.

I realize that I'm not lifting my entire bodyweight (e.g., forearms are staying static).

Should I worry about a "percent of bodyweight" calculation or am I overthinking it?

There is a part in Tactical Barbell that describes addressing this very dilemma although I forget exactly how it does so. Worth a read imo. , If you are looking to add weight to BW and do % based templates with it

I have done some PTTP-style cycles of percentage-based pullups. I just used bodyweight for the calculations.

It worked really well, but only if your bodyweight is not more than about 70% of your 1RM to begin with.

When I did this, I used a rep scheme of 54321 with a constant weight for all sets. So on the low end, I didn't have to go down to 90% of my lowest top set.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom