all posts post new thread

Barbell What other lifts do you pair with your deadlifting?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Just wondering what other lifts you guys actually do to complement your deadlifting.

My Tuesday is a dedicated "pull" day. It goes like this
Deadlifts
Rack pulls
Lat pull down/ pull-ups
Bent over alternating row
1H kettlebell swing

The exercises on Thursday, my dedicated "leg" day, also compliment my deadlifts
Back squats
1 leg deadlift
Double kettlebell front squat
Double kettlebell swings

Monday is a "push" day (with back squats)
Wednesday is a dedicated " shoulder" day
Friday is upper body
Saturday is variety

Last edited:
a pull...and a press. The essence of strength training.
Me, too. Usually kettlebell military press, some kind of pullup, and sometimes I combine those, e.g., a set of presses followed by a set up pullups, then rest, then repeat. And I finish with deadlifts. If I'm up for it - have the time, and am not too tired - I'll do some ab work as a finisher.

I typically have a morning and a later session. Morning is for a run and/or goblet squats and/or halos and/or swings and/or getups.

I will mix and match schedules, e.g., DL on Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri. Press/PU on Mon,Wed,Friday.

-S-

Back extensions, heavy sled pushes, reverse hypers, kettle bell swings :), and good mornings. If I am using a superset with another core lift it will be an upper body press.

a pull...and a press. The essence of strength training.

DDD, ROP, and Fighter Pull Ups is my current plan.

I'll let you know how it goes in a few months. ROP will be modified by reducing the number of swings as talked about in DDD. I plan to progress slowly on 3rm/5rm Fighter Pull Ups.

I'll throw some TGUs in during the warm up.

Only now am I getting serious about deadlifts. My other lifts are ring dips (can do 9 full ones max), chinups (7 rep max currently), and S&S (high volume swings 32kg and 10 TGUs 32/40kg in a session - sometimes do more than 10 TGUs, they are so awesome!)

If you are just getting serious about deadlifting I wouldn't go to crazy. KB Press and heavy swings to begin with, and for a while. A lot of good deadlifters add a good dead of deadlift assistance and supplemental work. If you are just getting into it start slow. Build up in volume in the deadlift before adding in anything. When I started powerlifting my biggest mistake was adding a ton of assistance before getting better and stronger in the core lifts. Focus on form and adding reps/weight slowly will do a ton for you without burning you out. Last year I made a ton of progress doing singles every other day, adding a rep with the same weight until I got to 12-15. I then dropped to 5 sets of 2 and worked up to 12-15 doubles without adding weight. I reset at 3 sets of triples until I hit 12 sets. I dropped back to 3 sets with an added 20lbs and so on and so on.

After a few months of this I pulled a 505lb max without killing myself. My assistance work was KB press, ab roller and heavy two hand swings. I'll probably start this again soon with pull ups, ab roller and KB Snatch. Push ups and TRX rows for balance.

I keep noticing 2h swings being mentioned in tandem with deadlifts. Are the 1h swings I do in S&S an acceptable alternative?

It's good to do both. They both compliment in different ways.
1h swings emphasize the upper body with upper back and core
2h swings emphasize the glues and Hamstrings because you can let your hips just rip.
At least that's how it works for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom