all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What programme are you currently doing (and why?)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Simple & Sinister. Why? Before starting S&S I was a couch potato. Two moving parts (three if you count the goblet squat, as I do) is enough to meet my initial goal of general physical preparedness. I consider achieving Simple the platform from which I can pursue other strength programs. Probably RoP next, or PttP with overhead press and deadlift.
I've decided to keep going in S&S past Simple and it turns into a whole 'nother programme if you do so. It becomes a heavy programme and a lot more than GPP.

Doing a 12 weeks program from Geoff, using clean & push presses, I'm using a pair of 24kg bells. Finished week 9 on Friday and it was horrendous and evil ;-)

Why? Since May 2016, I have been focusing on improving my upper body strength. Double clean & press with the 24s was the staple from May to Dec, plan to return to that in April.

This morning I started a 8-12 week cycle of ROP Kind A Sort A. Using bench press and neutral grip pull ups and 5-10 sets of 2H swings for 10 reps with a 90lb bell. Ladders and rungs based og ROP, kind a. TGU's and 90 minutes of BJJ Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday. I'll limit rolling sessions to keep my recovery in check.

I'm doing 5 days a week Easy Strength with OAPU, Ab wheel (standing), Loaded Pull Ups, and Pistols. 3 days a week I follow that with 2 weeks of grind complexes or 2 weeks of ballistic complexes. The other 2 days I follow Easy Strength with get ups and anything else.

Why? Because after 13 weeks of rite of passage I needed variety in my life. After I gain more muscle I will want to give SS another go from simple to solid.

I've been interspersing higher volume drop-set workouts with low rep/set count workouts. 5 rep max for overhead press and double front squats, 4 sets each with lots of rest on the heavy days.

My numbers have been going up on the high volume days and slowly climbing on the 5 rep max.

I may have to cut some sets out of the high volume days to improve recovery, but so far am handling it well.

Back to S&S (only).....since achieving simple I've tried to include S&S on variety days of other programs, more recently ES, but due to current commitments this has proved to much so something had to give.
S&S is too beneficial to drop so it won hands down....onwards to sinister ;)

Back to S&S (only).....since achieving simple I've tried to include S&S on variety days of other programs, more recently ES, but due to current commitments this has proved to much so something had to give.
S&S is too beneficial to drop so it won hands down....onwards to sinister ;)
I've been at the 40kg for S&S for several months now. It isn't GPP anymore. GPP stops at "Simple". 40kg S&S is a heavy kettlebell programme.

Given my own goals and Slavic body type with long legs, the TGU is really the heart of my approach to S&S. Picking up an 89 lbs weight in one hand lying on my back and then standing up with it is no joke in the world. That's real strength navigating a very difficult set of movements with full concentration and awareness. The swings are what balance this move out for me in my way of thinking.

I am topping it all off now with presses, not C&P, just P, at another time of day.

I have a burning ambition to continue S&S beyound Simple standard though. I already have Bulldog.

It crossed my mind recently as well... need to focus on something specific after ROP

I read a specific order somewhere (can't remember where): S&S to Simple - RoP - S&S to Sinister - RotKB (double KB work). After my SFG I weekend in England, that will be my chosen path.

I am doing ROP.... on my variety days I'm doing MAF/LSD running.

Enjoy the program and learning a lot from it.

The last time I tried LSD running I was a teenager, I stole a garden gnome from the front of someone's house & the police were chasing me. You don't climb 6 foot fences when the police are chasing you, you just touch them on the way over the top.

These days I prefer a few quiet vodkas at home. I wake up with a lot less unwanted road signs, flags and garden ornaments that way.

I am working towards the Simple standard, 2+ months under my belt, and still enjoying every session. Of course, I am still performing the two-hand swings, using the 24 kg kettlebell. I have a long road ahead of me, but at 50, with my kids out of the house, I have time.....;)

I have a burning ambition to continue S&S beyound Simple standard though. I already have Bulldog.
It is a whole different programme at the Bulldog (40kg) weight. Even though the moves are the same the benefits of them are different. It isn't just GPP anymore. It is much more.

I am working towards the Simple standard, 2+ months under my belt, and still enjoying every session. Of course, I am still performing the two-hand swings, using the 24 kg kettlebell. I have a long road ahead of me, but at 50, with my kids out of the house, I have time.....;)
I often do the swings 2 handed. You aren't losing much by doing them 2 handed. Actually, I don't think you're losing at all. It's just a bit different in the swings department that's all. To me the swings are primarily beneficial for my legs and lower back, and they're for cardio especially. It's the TGUs that to me are the heart of S&S. Just my take on it, but it feels like that to me.

• Justafied bent pressing (from Taming the Bent Press): 3-4 days a week. Started bent pressing a while back as a variation to TGU, liked it and kept it since. Justafied bent pressing is very meditative approach to weightlifting and I like it. Did Bent & Sinister before that.
  • OS Performance (leopard crawl): The rest of the week (or KB work if weather is bad). Wanted to see how my body reacts to high volume of crawling.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom