all posts post new thread

Barbell What sets/reps are recommended for Strength + Muscle Endurance without Bulking

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For some people, the trap bar DL helps their conventional DL start.

Zercher is an ab builder for most people more than anything else, so I think how you handle sets/reps is going to depend on what else you do, but if it's a minimalist program, then the usual guidance probably applies, a relatively low volume, spread out, for skill improvement, and fewer sessions, higher reps and/or more sets, for gaining size. I don't think many people can hold enough weight in their elbows to do a lot of heavy Zerchers.

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
Thanks again !

If the Zercher is far less heavier than the regular or even trap bar DL, can we also consider DL regardless the type, as a good ab builder (which interests me for my boxing practice) ?

I guess this is also a matter of technique, but I also feel I can put more power (not strength) in DL than in squat. Would you have an advice or an opinion ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I nearly burst into tears when I hear about people trying to "avoid bulking up". I've had to struggle mightily for every pound of muscle. But seriously as advised above keep the reps low, rest periods long and don't eat a lot

This^!

It doesn't matter if you do use more of BB set/rep scheme, if you don't eat for it you might gain some muscle but only until your fat reserves are drawn down a bit - your overall mass will stay the same or shrink. Bulking on a fixed diet is not going to happen and can be easily reversed if it does manage somehow.

That said, if calories and protein remain the same, higher tension, fewer repetitions is the formula for strength over size. Reduce tension (somewhat) and increase repetitions for more definition.

Hello,

@Steve Freides
Do you think it could be a good idea doing an EMOM protocol with deadlift and press ? It would be to get some conditioning in the meanwhile

Indeed

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Steve Freides
Do you think it could be a good idea doing an EMOM protocol with deadlift and press ? It would be to get some conditioning in the meanwhile
Yes, I've done EMOM deadlifts and presses. I think it's fine as a change of pace but I wouldn't consider it a program I'd stick with over a long haul because, as Dan John put it, the goal is to keep the goal, the goal. If you're trying to get stronger and trying to get some conditioning, I think there are better ways to achieve that. I also think it gets to be risky business to start doing deadlifts EMOM for more than about 10 or 12 minutes - even with a light weight, form can suffer and injuries are more likely, IMO.

For presses, I once tried what I think is an interesting format - EMOM but use several different weights, and adjust the rep count accordingly. E.g., 3 x 16 kg, then 2 x 20 kg, then 1 x 24 kg, and repeat that over and over. You could even look at it as ladder or pyramid of sorts, and do what I described, then take an extra minute or two of rest, then repeat.

We know from PlanStrong hints that have been published in blogs here that variety is a key ingredient to success, but the right kind of variety. Mixing up weights and reps but keeping to the same schedule is, IMHO, something that might work while providing some conditioning as well.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom