What *should* I be able to do before starting S+S?

Deadlift13

Double-Digit Post Count
I want to start S+S but have bad posture and a few niggling pains I have been seeing a physio for. Basically shoulder and low back pain reaulting from bad posture - too much time sitting, tight hip flexors, tight chest, inactive glutes etc. The physio has cleared me to do hinge movements etc as long as I continue to stretch hip flexors, itb, chest and do glute bridges, upper back retractions and 'clams'.

It seems to me that the S+S program fits in well with what I need to do since there is no pressing (physio said none of that at the moment) and since the getup and swing strengthen the muscles I need to develop.

I'm not just going to jump into starting the program I want to take it slowly and make sure I am moving correctly e.g. using glutes instead of lower back when hinging. I just don't know the best way to do this.

Are the hinge practice drills in S+S a good place to start since the physio has cleared me to do these and goblet squats?

I can't reach a bell off the floor and maintain a flat back either so I think I need more flexibility in this area. Is this a case of just keep trying to hinge back lower and lower over time maybe holding the bell at my chest for now, or am I better off dedicating time to stretching hamstrings or possibly both?

Thanks for any advice.

Shawn Reed

Triple-Digit Post Count
S&S as prescribed warmups + Deadlifts w/ KB off box progressing to floor followed by Get Ups with a shoe on the fist for a few weeks will do wonders for you. Finish up with the stretches as recommended. Another good option would be to seek out a SFG instructor trained in the FMS for a screen and associated corrections.

Deadlift13

Double-Digit Post Count
Thanks very much for the reply. This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing.

How often do you think I should do these drills, tgu and KB DL practices? Daily?

Thanks again.

Shawn Reed

Triple-Digit Post Count
As often as possible, while staying as fresh as possible... While varying the load regularly... I believe this great advice Pavel gave us many years ago...and it definitely still applies.

Deadlift13

Double-Digit Post Count
Thanks for replies. I have tried to have a look at the four week program at the brea king muscle site herehttp://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/untying-the-4-knots-jon-engums-4-weeks-to-flexible-steel-program

But the actual program link doesn't work. Do you know where I could find it?

fatuus

Still New to StrongFirst Forum
Face the wall squats fixed these same problems for me. It took weeks to get it right, but after hundreds of reps, I learned how to hinge and how to use my glutes.

I also learned to lie on the floor with no pillow for my nap.

Now I do several lunges a day with a "proud" chest, and prying goblet squats.

Deadlift13

Double-Digit Post Count
Steve - The link givig exercise desceiptions works but there's a link in that page to the actual workouts which doesn't work. I suppose it's not essential as I could guess reps/sets of the exercises listed. I would have prefered to see what he recommends though.

Fatuus - I've tried FTW squats before and I struggle to do these as a hinge. Should they be done with minimal knee is bend? As in hinge and push your butt out as far back as possible until your arms can drop down and reach a KB?

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Senior Certified Instructor
If you want to stretch the hamstrings, use minimal knee bend. This is what the article suggests.

-S-

Top Bottom