all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What size bell next

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
What size bell is recommended after 16kg?
Been doing circuits, get ups and one arm swings included so i know i can do those 2 exercises with 16kg.
Im gonna do more simple sinister from now on and not sure if i sould go with a 20 or a 24?
Moneys tight so id rater not have to buy again very soon but dont know if the jump to 24 is too much.

Whats recommended?

No I don't think so. As Chris says most of us get a lot of milage out of a 24. It will be a tough jump from a 16. What you can do is just one set with the 24 and then the rest with the 16. Then two sets with the 24, then 3, so on and so forth. I think the toughest jump is the 24K to 32K

I would say go with the 20. Buy two plates, a five and a ten lb. Then tape them to the 20. But this isn't Mc Guyver.

I second the vote for the 24, because you'll never stop using it, if you continue with kettlebells. Even once you move on to the 32 someday, you'll still want the 24 around for snatching.

If you're going to McGuyver something, tape weight to the 16.

I would suggest going with the 20kg unless 16kg for get-ups is ridiculously easy. Remember that 24kg is 50% heavier than 16kg. You could probably get away with the 24kg for swings because you can always do 2-arm swings until you're comfortable with 1-arm swings. But the get-ups will probably be the biggest potential for issues.

+1 to the 24. Buy the 24 and do whatever you can with it. Worst case you will be able to do 2-hand swings, goblet squats and partial TGU. You will eventually be able to do a lot more with it. Remember that S&S book suggests men to start with a 24.

I personally made the jump from 16kg -> 24kg after practicing with the 16kg for 1 year.

It is a big jump and very humbling, but it tests your patience, and forces you to PRACTICE.

Repeat until strong!

Well im doing 32kg (2×16) squats at the moment.

Have done the same with swings in sets of 5s in my circuit's

So i hopfully i will be fine swinging 24kg

Hardest part of the get up will be holding it above my head although i used to shoulder press alot more a while ago so hopefully that will help, pressing 16kg is easy.
Im going to keep increasing the swings to 10x10 before moving up tho but will only be a couple weeks

If you are just stick with S&S programming or if you are already strong from other type of exercise, then a 24 makes sense. A 20 will make the transition a whole lot sweeter. Plus if you ever expand to doing presses and snatches, the 20 will really help the transition. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

I personally made the jump from 16kg -> 24kg after practicing with the 16kg for 1 year.

It is a big jump and very humbling, but it tests your patience, and forces you to PRACTICE.

Repeat until strong!

Ive only been using kbs for about 3month but had a good few yrs messing around with bodybuilding routies before so started with a good strengh base but my cardio sucks big time thats been the hardest part for me

Plus if the 24 is a bit heavy, like Oscar said do what you can with it. But increase your volume with the 16 in the meantime.

Last edited:
Buy the 24, and tape some weight to a 16 if you need an intermediate weight for the TGUs. As for the swings, it's easy enough to introduce sets 5 with the 24 alongside sets of 10 with the 16, and use that as a wedge to transition to full sets of 10 with the 24.

I started with a 12 and then moved to a 14. I then bought a 16 and a 20 -thinking that it was a bit of a stretch to get the 20. I moved to the 20 much faster than I thought and didn't really get a huge amount of use from the 16. That said, now I'm moving from the 20 to the 24, I'm appreciating having the 16 for light windmills etc.

I do recall having difficulty transitioning from a 16kg get-up to 24kg. I used an adjustable dumbbell to plug the gap but, ultimately, it was really getting a proper grasp of the technique that allowed me to move up to the 24kg bell.

A 20kg bell is a nice thing to have but it's a luxury, not an essential.

Every home should have a 16kg and 24kg kettlebell.

Damn, what did I start here? No, no don't tape any plates to your KB. It's just not professional. It's o.k. for your gym to look "old school" but you don't want to look like a hack. LOL

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom