all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What Stretching and Playing the Cello Have In Common

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I thought I'd share what I think is an interesting story about how our bodies are wired for tension and relaxation. A bit of background:

Most of us are aware of contract-relax stretching protocols - if you're not, read Relax Into Stretch by Pavel. Contracting your muscles then relaxing them and moving further into a stretch fools, and fools with, your stretch reflex. Contract-relax stretching is therefore not recommended before strength training. It can make you effectively weaker; the harder you intend to work your contract-relax stretches, the more ill-advised it is to perform them on a day in which you plan to train strength afterwards.

We also know, from reading the stories of a number of famous lifters, that practicing tension techniques throughout the day can make you stronger - no weights are needed for this kind of practice. I have found that relaxation can work the same way. It can be visualized and practiced without requiring a dedicated session.

So, what do stretching and playing the cello have in common? I began taking cello lesson 7 months ago, and my worst problem, by far, is my right arm, the one that operates the bow. I have had a chronically tight right shoulder for as long as I can remember, and while I've made progress on improving its strength and increasing its range of motion over the years, it remained chronically tight in a rolled-forward position, and very poor at both internal and external rotation.

To play the cello well, one must be able to relax the right shoulder, and in particular, one must be able to internally rotate it - that's the opposite of what we do for most strength training, and after 20 years of strength training, I got good at external shoulder rotation but never had much need for internal rotation, and certainly not relaxed internal rotation, until now.

I have been working all the time on relaxing my right shoulder. Following my instincts as someone who has played musical instruments for more than half a century, I knew I shouldn't practice much because I didn't want to struggle and get used to struggling with my right shoulder. Somehow I knew that, if I could get it to relax, my playing would improve dramatically, and that's been the case.

Remember how I said that one shouldn't perform contract-relax stretching before strength training? Well, it's not contract-relax stretching, but I have, until today, always lifted before I practiced. Today, I decided to play the cello at 11 am, my only practice session in the last 2 weeks, and played better than I ever have so far. I decided to lift at 2 pm. And a very unusual thing happened - I failed a press on my right side, my bow arm side, which is my dominant side and almost always stronger at pressing than my left.

Lesson learned - too much relaxation, of a certain kind and at certain times, isn't good for strength. The timing of relaxed practices with high tension ones is important, and I'm going to go back to lifting first and practicing the cello later. Interestingly to me, for other instruments that I've been playing longer, playing before strength training doesn't cause me problems. But for this, an instrument I'm new at and one that demands a relaxed right shoulder, the timing is quite important (at least until I get some more months and years of playing the cello under my belt).

That's my story - thanks for reading.

-S-

I played the cello from 3rd grade to 12th grade. For a kid, I was pretty decent at playing. I lost interest immediately after high school. I'm 40 now. I still have it. At best, I pull it out once per year (I can probably count how many times I've played it, post high school, on my hands). It amazes me that I can "kinda" still play. Don't get me wrong, I'm terrible, it has been so long. But I can still go through the motions and read music and I know what to do. It just doesn't sound very good, ha ha. When I look at my old music books, I can't remember what the notes are at all. I can't explain to somebody what I'm looking at (whether it's an A or B flat or whatever), In just don't remember. However, when I see the symbol, the note, my left hand knows exactly where to go (even though my brain can't recall how to read the music). I find this amazing. It applies to training too, muscle memory. I put so many reps in as a child that a lot of it is still ingrained in me, over 20 years later.

One of these days I want to get back into it. I'm not ready yet though, I just have too many other hobbies and work that keeps me busy. The strings and bow hair are in bad shape and need replaced.

@william bad butt, you could be what we call a comeback player, someone who played a long time ago and decided to take up their instrument again.

Muscle memory is key - it's why we practice, so that muscle memory guides us how to play the notes while we think about other things. There is something called MasterClass that runs ads that show up in my Facebook all the time. The Itzhak Perlman one - he is one of the world's great violinists and has been for decades - talks about muscle memory in the ad.

Have a look at your cello. Wooden instruments, without proper care, often don't age well. A few months ago, I looked at a friend's cello, originally played by their daughter, who is now a young adult, in middle school so probably not looked at in 10-15 years. It had developed a crack at the headstock, and when I tried to tune it, I could hear the increasing string tension making the crack worse, so to the repair shop it went before anyone had a chance to play it, or damage it, further. Best to detune by lower the pitch for long-term storage, best to try to ensure relatively constant temperature and especially humidity.

And for sure, after the instrument's health is sound, new strings and a bow rehair. The bow should be checked for health, too.

I'm the opposite of you in that all the "things" - reading music and the like - are in place for me. The only thing I'm missing as far as playing the cello is playing the cello, and I'm pretty thrilled that I've managed to get my right shoulder working as it needs to. I'm going to try to lift earlier today so that I can practice later. :)

-S-

Thanks Steve. I do store it in a temp/humidity controlled atmosphere. But I probably should take it to an expert for an inspection. I say I will get back into it. In fact, that is the only reason I've kept it all these years. It's on my TO DO list.

Eric

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom