all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What to add to S&S for sport specific preparation?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi everybody,

I´m posting this question here as I have seen it come up in the forum quite often. The question is: What excercises can be added to S&S in order to target sport specific preparation? The idea is adding activities/excercises, but in a way that doesnt affect S&S eficiency and progress.

For instance: In march my football (Soccer) season will start, so Im thinking on going for a jog some afternoons, or playing a football match with friends (I do S&S in the morning). I think a light jog if kept aerobic can go fine with S&S.

Another one: In the coming southern spring (September) my kitesurf season will start. Kitesurf puts a great load on quads in an isostatic manner, you keep a knee-bent stance for several minutes under load. Probably similar to skiing. So I'm thinking on adding some more quadricep-targeted conditioning after S&S, such as doing a few sets of heavyish goblet squats, or maybe half-sitting isostatic holds with the back against the wall.

I guess a good answer could be: If you can wake up the next day fresh and ready for your S&S session, you are fine.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

It depends on what you aim for, effectively.

football (Soccer) season will start
I would go for running (both on MAF pace and hill sprints)

kitesurf season will start.
I would go for pistols (or any kind of squats with relatively heavy load) and "wall chair", and also some core training (plank, HS sit ups / HLR)

In terms of programming, how many S&S sessions do you do ? How many soccer sessions do you do ? The same for kitesurf

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi @pet', thanks for your suggestions, I´m doing 4 - 6 S&S sessions per week. Football would be 1 competitive match per week + 1 game with friends. About kitesurfing, it will probably be about twice a week.

Anyway, my question was aiming for a broader answer: If I have any specific sport I practice in an amateur manner, or any specific fitness goal (from dancing to achieving a handstand push up), how can I add a few specific excercises without affecting S&S training?

I think many of us are doing S&S for general fitness and conditioning, but also most of us practice a specific sport. I´ve read many times "stick to S&S at least until Simple is achieved", which I think its a great piece of advice that I will personally follow. So, how can I add a few sport-specific excercises/activities while keeping the goal of achieving Simple as the main goal?

As a rule of thumb I´m thinking that if I´m fresh the next day for my S&S session, then whatever I added to the program is fine. Another rule I´m planning to follow is to try to keep any other activity A+A.

For soccer I would add technical practice plus playing with friends.

For kitesurfing what about playing with the Indoboard? It did wonders for my snowboarding.

Don't do S&S on the same day as the sport, and you may also want to skip S&S on the day prior to playing the sport too, although over time try not to skip the day before.

This has been my experience.

My guess would be to practice the sport itself.
This.

If you want sport-specific exercises, consider a coach who has experience with your sport. For most people below an elite level, S&S plus playing their sport will be sufficient. Dial back the number of days you do S&S when your sport is in season.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom