all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What to do next

Joel the Savage

Level 6 Valued Member
Question: what plan/program to do next?

Access to equipment: 1x24 KB, 2x32 KB, 2x40 KB, 1x48 KB, bodyweight, 20kg Weight West, floor.

Goal:
- Log press 120kg
- DL 215kg for reps
- One hand anyhow BW over head
- Farmers walk 130kg (per hand) 15+15m
THIS is the problem. My goals are not really kettlebell-related but for the foreseeable future it's what I got for equipment.
So i guess the goal with the next training phase is get stronger overall.

Background (with recent stats to give an idea of kettlebell experience):
- BodyWeight 80kg.
- Military Press PB (barbell) 95kg (old competition style)
- Can press 48kg maybe 2-3 presses on my right arm, 0 on my left (old grappling injuries piled up over the years).
- Have done 1000 1h swings with 24kg non-stop (free # handswitches, but that was a few years ago).
- Can military press 2x40KB 5 times (relatively strict, video of form)
Right now I "just" started over with a RotK-inspired program. But perhaps I should move on to something else like KB Strong (by Geoff)

Edit: included goals and formatted the post.
Edit2: clarification regards to farmers walk

Last edited:
Good point. "The gains are always greener on the other side" perhaps.
They never are... It took me an embarrassingly long time to go from "I have a checklist of programs and I want to do them all" to "What I'm doing is working, I'm going to keep doing it until it isn't working. Then I'll make adjustments or change programs."

Consistency really seems to be the magic ingredient for gains.

I’m seconding @Mark Limbaga’s post. The question is what do you want to achieve? Destination is needed to determine route and means of travel.

Unless you’re question is just generally, “I’ve hit my goals, now what should I even want?”

They never are... It took me an embarrassingly long time to go from "I have a checklist of programs and I want to do them all" to "What I'm doing is working, I'm going to keep doing it until it isn't working. Then I'll make adjustments or change programs."

Like Dan John says, "Trust the process," and don't try to find the best program; it doesn't exists. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Good point. "The gains are always greener on the other side" perhaps. Or just trying something new.
it's not always clear why our interest changes.

from time to time I do my best to try to exercise contentment on purpose.
maybe just to prove to myself that i can.

1673469778894.png

1673469708814.png

other times I'm just experimenting with different things, just to see what happens.
Trying out new lifts, rep / set combinations. looking for a new max or PR. etc.

What is your training goal? Short term? Mid term?
Edited post with this years goals. Will find a strongman-gym and drive there once a month to lift something heavier.
I’m seconding @Mark Limbaga’s post. The question is what do you want to achieve? Destination is needed to determine route and means of travel.

Unless you’re question is just generally, “I’ve hit my goals, now what should I even want?”
Almost, I have some goals, how can I try to close in on them with what I have got access to?
I can only imagine some who can do "Dry Fighting Weight" with double 40's, or "The Wolf" with double 32's would see only good things happen.
Can you summarise what they are? Open to suggestions, just, can't remember all the names of every program.

Well... Feels like I need to just change it a little, been on this path to long now.

Edited post with this years goals. Will find a strongman-gym and drive there once a month to lift something heavier.

Almost, I have some goals, how can I try to close in on them with what I have got access to?
See below.
Question: what plan/program to do next?

Access to equipment: 1x24 KB, 2x32 KB, 2x40 KB, 1x48 KB, bodyweight, 20kg Weight West, floor.
Okay, so you’re limited to kettlebells and a vest for goals that don’t directly include kettlebells. No problem, just means you need to do things in the same categories.
Goal:
- Log press 120kg
Press - Bilateral Grind
- DL 215kg for reps
Hinge - Bilateral Grind
- One hand anyhow BW over head
- Farmers walk 130kg 15+15m
Loaded Carries
THIS is the problem. My goals are not really kettlebell-related but for the foreseeable future it's what I got for equipment.
So i guess the goal with the next training phase is get stronger overall.
That goal makes sense. Get stronger using what you have regularly, translate it over to your goals with your monthly trips to the strongman gym.
Right now I "just" started over with a RotK-inspired program. But perhaps I should move on to something else like KB Strong (by Geoff)
You need a program that addresses Push strength, Hinge strength/endurance, and LC strength. That’s basically any Strongfirst or Geoff Neupert program with the addition of carries.
For Press: DCP with the 40s, DCPP/J incorporating the 48k if your injuries permit (including the clean for extra hinge work)
For Hinge: SLDL or Kickstand DL with as much weight as you can safely tolerate (vest and two kettlebells); build up to heavy 1HSw and then heavy and high rep/set 1HSw (incorporate vest if can safely)
For LC: Between the 40k + 48k you have a decent percentage of the weight to start for your Farmer’s Carry goal, so use that for longer distances than your test goal. No idea how to train for a 2H Anyhow; I’ll leave that for someone else to answer

If you can tolerate Kb Snatches, those are a great option for sneaking in extra hinge and push work.

1st Block - 2-3 weeks
Main days: DCP, Kickstand DL, Farmer’s Carry
Variety days: Kb Snatch (A+A Style, nothing crazy)
2nd Block - 2-3 weeks
Main days: DCPP/J, SLDL, some type of getup or anyhow
Variety days: Kb Swings (A+A Style, nothing crazy)

Repeat 2-3 times. Fill in details on sets/reps/total volume; have a light, medium, and heavy day. Looks like an ROTK-inspired program with loaded carries.

Lots and lots of presses, squats, Bulgarian Split squats, rows, endurance carries. Given what you can already do with the weight selection you have, keep increasing the reps over time.

If you can find somewhere to do chins and weight them that would be good.

Strong a few bells together with some rope and do rope carries.

You're already strong as hell but clearly have some very high goals. Good luck!!!

See below.

Okay, so you’re limited to kettlebells and a vest for goals that don’t directly include kettlebells. No problem, just means you need to do things in the same categories.

Press - Bilateral Grind

Hinge - Bilateral Grind

Loaded Carries

That goal makes sense. Get stronger using what you have regularly, translate it over to your goals with your monthly trips to the strongman gym.

You need a program that addresses Push strength, Hinge strength/endurance, and LC strength. That’s basically any Strongfirst or Geoff Neupert program with the addition of carries.
For Press: DCP with the 40s, DCPP/J incorporating the 48k if your injuries permit (including the clean for extra hinge work)
For Hinge: SLDL or Kickstand DL with as much weight as you can safely tolerate (vest and two kettlebells); build up to heavy 1HSw and then heavy and high rep/set 1HSw (incorporate vest if can safely)
For LC: Between the 40k + 48k you have a decent percentage of the weight to start for your Farmer’s Carry goal, so use that for longer distances than your test goal. No idea how to train for a 2H Anyhow; I’ll leave that for someone else to answer

If you can tolerate Kb Snatches, those are a great option for sneaking in extra hinge and push work.

1st Block - 2-3 weeks
Main days: DCP, Kickstand DL, Farmer’s Carry
Variety days: Kb Snatch (A+A Style, nothing crazy)
2nd Block - 2-3 weeks
Main days: DCPP/J, SLDL, some type of getup or anyhow
Variety days: Kb Swings (A+A Style, nothing crazy)

Repeat 2-3 times. Fill in details on sets/reps/total volume; have a light, medium, and heavy day. Looks like an ROTK-inspired program with loaded carries.
Oh sorry I need to clarify, I forget that other people can't read my thoughts.

IF (big if) I compete, I compete in strongman competitions.

- Farmers walk is 130kg per hand, only CrossFit adds it up in competition.
In strongman it would be listed as 120kg, if they had the same weights in Crossfit it would say "240kg".
I will take your suggestion. When the weather allows it I will go outside and do 32+40 in each hand, total of 144kg. It's the best I can do ATM.

- If it is overhead lifts its usually two hands anyhow. By "anyhow" I mean strict/push/jerk (it does not matter) with block/barbell/axle/log.

- It can also ve ONE hand over head (you can curl it with two hands to chest level) usually people pushpress it, some push-jerk, no one bent presses cause the free hand may not touch the body.

The rest sounds like what I almost gravitated towards. This is what I have been doing the last 4 weeks:

Grind-block 2W
Easy Day
BuP 1x32
Dbl KB Cleans 5x5
Swings/snatches depending on feel

Medium Day
KB Sumo BoxFront Squats (westside style box squat) 2x40. Ladders.
SLDL (or SplitSquats depending on feel) 5x5 2x32
Superset with
Gorilla Rows or Renegade Rows depending on feel.
Heavy Swings
Loaded Carries (with this weather it is weight west + 2x40kg up and down the stairs outside the apartment)

Heavy Day
C&MP 2x40 ladders
DblKB DL 2x40kg 2x20rep (will incorporate some lower reps and higher weights with 32+40 left 32+40r rght, vary 1h and 2h)

Ballistic block 2W
Easy day
1x24 OTM Snatches, LC C&J or Snatches
Dbl KB Cleans 2x32-40 5x5

Medium
Front Squat (same as grind)
1x32 OTM LC C&J 5L +5R

Heavy
LC C& J 2x32kg Ladders.
(Will incorporate some heavier Jerks with 1x40 & 1x48 if able to).

How and when to increase reps:
Grind block 2v:
Ladders 3x1,2,3. Increase # of ladders every week untill 5 total. Next restart with 3 ladders but increase "height" of the ladders i.e. 3x1,2,3,4. after 5x1,2,3,4,5 go to 3x3,5,7.

Ballistic 2v:
Double the reps, keep the ladders i.e. 3x2,4,6

Note to self. Make sure to incorporate MAX-days every month. Max weight or max reps, vary. I.e. 2x40 max reps. 1x48 floor press max reps. 1x32Snatch @5min. 1x24 snatch @10min

Lots and lots of presses, squats, Bulgarian Split squats, rows, endurance carries. Given what you can already do with the weight selection you have, keep increasing the reps over time.

If you can find somewhere to do chins and weight them that would be good.

Strong a few bells together with some rope and do rope carries.

You're already strong as hell but clearly have some very high goals. Good luck!!!
Do you mean as a sort of sword-in-the-stone carry? (Have no idea if thats a term) or as in a sled drag?

Hah! Thank you, only took 20 years to get here. Someone once told me: "I wish I was a naturally strong i pressing as you are".
My reply: I press things overhead 3 times a week, every week and have done so for about 10 years... It's only natural I get better at it.

Do you mean as a sort of sword-in-the-stone carry? (Have no idea if thats a term) or as in a sled drag?

Hah! Thank you, only took 20 years to get here. Someone once told me: "I wish I was a naturally strong i pressing as you are".
My reply: I press things overhead 3 times a week, every week and have done so for about 10 years... It's only natural I get better at it.
I have a novice question in the middle of this already “strong” thread.

When you work by using blocks. I assume once you return to a given block, you continue from where you have left right? You don’t go backwards. What is the longest blocks and number of them that you used in a way that when you come back you can continue where you left.

I think the answer might depend of how the blocks support or complement each other, bit I am just curious about your experience.

And one more question if you may. How the very end result differ from throwing everything in one block for you?

Best

Oh sorry I need to clarify, I forget that other people can't read my thoughts.

IF (big if) I compete, I compete in strongman competitions.

- Farmers walk is 130kg per hand, only CrossFit adds it up in competition.
In strongman it would be listed as 120kg, if they had the same weights in Crossfit it would say "240kg".
I will take your suggestion. When the weather allows it I will go outside and do 32+40 in each hand, total of 144kg. It's the best I can do ATM.

- If it is overhead lifts its usually two hands anyhow. By "anyhow" I mean strict/push/jerk (it does not matter) with block/barbell/axle/log.

- It can also ve ONE hand over head (you can curl it with two hands to chest level) usually people pushpress it, some push-jerk, no one bent presses cause the free hand may not touch the body.

The rest sounds like what I almost gravitated towards. This is what I have been doing the last 4 weeks:

Grind-block 2W
Easy Day
BuP 1x32
Dbl KB Cleans 5x5
Swings/snatches depending on feel

Medium Day
KB Sumo BoxFront Squats (westside style box squat) 2x40. Ladders.
SLDL (or SplitSquats depending on feel) 5x5 2x32
Superset with
Gorilla Rows or Renegade Rows depending on feel.
Heavy Swings
Loaded Carries (with this weather it is weight west + 2x40kg up and down the stairs outside the apartment)

Heavy Day
C&MP 2x40 ladders
DblKB DL 2x40kg 2x20rep (will incorporate some lower reps and higher weights with 32+40 left 32+40r rght, vary 1h and 2h)

Ballistic block 2W
Easy day
1x24 OTM Snatches, LC C&J or Snatches
Dbl KB Cleans 2x32-40 5x5

Medium
Front Squat (same as grind)
1x32 OTM LC C&J 5L +5R

Heavy
LC C& J 2x32kg Ladders.
(Will incorporate some heavier Jerks with 1x40 & 1x48 if able to).

How and when to increase reps:
Grind block 2v:
Ladders 3x1,2,3. Increase # of ladders every week untill 5 total. Next restart with 3 ladders but increase "height" of the ladders i.e. 3x1,2,3,4. after 5x1,2,3,4,5 go to 3x3,5,7.

Ballistic 2v:
Double the reps, keep the ladders i.e. 3x2,4,6

Note to self. Make sure to incorporate MAX-days every month. Max weight or max reps, vary. I.e. 2x40 max reps. 1x48 floor press max reps. 1x32Snatch @5min. 1x24 snatch @10min
Looks good. I’d tell you, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If you feel like your motivation is down and you’ve been going hard and been focused for a while, maybe take a week or two off to let it return, then dive back in to this program when the hunger builds up again.

Back
Top Bottom