all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What to do next

Goal:
- Log press 120kg
- DL 215kg for reps
- One hand anyhow BW over head
- Farmers walk 130kg (per hand) 15+15m
THIS is the problem. My goals are not really kettlebell-related but for the foreseeable future it's what I got for equipment.
So i guess the goal with the next training phase is get stronger overall.
Solid goals here.

I've found for log that practicing squat jerks has excellent carryover. So I'd throw those in the rotation with kettlebells.

But with those goals I'd consider getting a barbell for home.

I have a novice question in the middle of this already “strong” thread.

When you work by using blocks. I assume once you return to a given block, you continue from where you have left right? You don’t go backwards. What is the longest blocks and number of them that you used in a way that when you come back you can continue where you left.

I think the answer might depend of how the blocks support or complement each other, bit I am just curious about your experience.

And one more question if you may. How the very end result differ from throwing everything in one block for you?

Best
Are we talking about blocks as in RotK(2-3week blocks) , powerlifting microcycles cycles (4-16 weeks) or blocks as in Blocking off parts of the year due to competing in sports?

Solid goals here.

I've found for log that practicing squat jerks has excellent carryover. So I'd throw those in the rotation with kettlebells.

But with those goals I'd consider getting a barbell for home.
Haha, i like what you are thinking. I actually have:
Foldable Power Rack
Homemade powerlifting-platform
Safety pins
Barbell + 200kg weights
Farmers handles (loadable to 110kg each)
Atlas Ball 85kg
Sand Bag loadable to 130kg
Circus Dumbbell
Axle -dumbbell
Rubber Bands
KB ... All of them

BUT due to a recent move across the country I now live in a smaller apartment (on the second floor) with no room for it... But honestly I actually don't know of the flooring could take the weight.

Are we talking about blocks as in RotK(2-3week blocks) , powerlifting microcycles cycles (4-16 weeks) or blocks as in Blocking off parts of the year due to competing in sports?
As far as I can see, you have two blocks in your training, one is “grind” block, the other os “ballistics block”. I was referring to them, to understand this concept better.

I am a beginner. I try to learn about block style training not because I have advanced requirements but in an opposite way, I lack some fundamentals, flexibility, and stability. I believe I need to work on mobility routines as well as original strength resets type DNS work. But my issues is, if I do those exclusively I will not have strength gains, so I was thinking if it was a good idea to have a block of 2 weeks to work on fundamentals and corrections if you may and a block of strength for my case.

I am not familiar enough w block training, to be able to understand the difference in between the examples you have given hence long response to your question.

Best

As far as I can see, you have two blocks in your training, one is “grind” block, the other os “ballistics block”. I was referring to them, to understand this concept better.

I am a beginner. I try to learn about block style training not because I have advanced requirements but in an opposite way, I lack some fundamentals, flexibility, and stability. I believe I need to work on mobility routines as well as original strength resets type DNS work. But my issues is, if I do those exclusively I will not have strength gains, so I was thinking if it was a good idea to have a block of 2 weeks to work on fundamentals and corrections if you may and a block of strength for my case.

I am not familiar enough w block training, to be able to understand the difference in between the examples you have given hence long response to your question.

Best
Sure, in this case:
My progression is:

When I get did RotK the second time with 2x32 i could not progress that rapidly. So when doing ladders to 4 and forth I had to repeat last weeks heavy before progressing.
Week 5 Grind 5x1,2,3
Week 6 Grind 3x1,2,3,4
Week 7 Ballistic 5x2,4,6
Week 8 Ballistic 3x2,4,6,8
Week 9 Grind 3x1,2,3,4 (that is repeat w6)
Week 10 gring 4x1,2,3,4
Week 11 Ballistic 3x2,4,6,8 (repeat w8)
Week 12 Ballistic 4x2,4,6,8

And above that, when starting @ 3x1,2,3,4,5 that is some serious density in the training. You might have to lower the later steps.
I.e. the first ladder 1,2,3,4,5
Second 1,2,3,4, 3 (fail rep 4)
Third 1,2,3,4
Next week try to repeat, OR increase the volume and do another 1,2,3 (or 4). Any progression is progression.

On the second part "I lack some fundamentals, flexibility, and stability. I believe I need to work on mobility routines as well as original strength resets type DNS work. But my issues is, if I do those exclusively I will not have strength gains, so"

THIS is the primary problem I see in this forum, to much nitpicking so people get lost on SS for 4 years having problem progressing from 16kg to 24kg.
I have done my part of getting lost in details and lost so much training time and progress.
I.e. "you need to have perfect press form before starting with a bell". No, you have to have good enough form. First reps might look ok, but rep 4 and 5 on the 4th ladder might look like crap. It is ok, strive to make it better next time.
"but i cant mlitary press it with perfect form" can you tempo-press it? if not can you pushpress it? If not can you jerk it?
Press what you can press, pushpress what you can't press, jerk what you can't pushpress.
Progress is progress.
For "mobility" warm up with a 5min flow (shoutout Max Shank) OR make a 5min flow earlier in the day. 5min a day is 35min each week... that's 1500 a year!

Last edited:
Sure, in this case:
My progression is:

When I get did RotK the second time with 2x32 i could not progress that rapidly. So when doing ladders to 4 and forth I had to repeat last weeks heavy before progressing.
Week 5 Grind 5x1,2,3
Week 6 Grind 3x1,2,3,4
Week 7 Ballistic 5x2,4,6
Week 10 gring 4x1,2,3,4

And above that, when starting @ 3x1,2,3,4,5 that is some serious density in the training. You might have to lower the later steps.
Third 1,2,3,4
Next week try to repeat, OR increase the volume and do another 1,2,3 (or 4). Any progression is progression.

On the second part "I lack some fundamentals, flexibility, and stability. I believe I need to work on mobility routines as well as original strength resets type DNS work. But my issues is, if I do those exclusively I will not have strength gains, so"

THIS is the primary problem I see in this forum, to much nitpicking so people get lost on SS for 4 years having problem progressing from 16kg to 24kg.
I have done my part of getting lost in details and lost so much training time and progress.
I.e. "you need to have perfect press form before starting with a bell". No, you have to have good enough form. First reps might look ok, but rep 4 and 5 on the 4th ladder might look like crap. It is ok, strive to make it better next time.
"but i cant mlitary press it with perfect form" can you tempo-press it? if not can you pushpress it? If not can you jerk it?
Press what you can press, pushpress what you can't press, jerk what you can't pushpress.
Progress is progress.
For "mobility" warm up with a 5min flow (shoutout Max Shank) OR make a 5min flow earlier in the day. 5min a day is 35min each week... that's 1500 a year!
Thanks a lot for taking time to reply in this much detail. Your answer made me really think. I believe I got your point and this might really what I need at this time in my journey…

Sure, in this case:
My progression is:

Week 5 Grind 5x1,2,3
Week 6 Grind 3x1,2,3,4
Week 7 Ballistic 5x2,4,6
Week 10 gring 4x1,2,3,4

Third 1,2,3,4

Progress is progress.
This is solid advice. Joel told me this a few years ago and it helped me move to 32kg on rop and achieve 50% bw press. More people should take this to Heart

Back
Top Bottom