all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What to do on Recovery Day?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ROUGHRIDER13

Level 1 Valued Member
I am on a Pavel-influenced sprinter program right now. 3x a week sprint work, then 3x a week combination of swings, TGUs, and low weight sprinting lifts (bulgarian split squats, step ups, reverse lunges...) on alternating days.

In the past I had really painful knee tendinitis. In order to prevent it I have to take a day off every now and then from my program. Any ideas as to what I can do on those recovery days? I'm open to anything, as long as it doesn't involve knee flexion while bearing any weight. FYI I'm already doing mobility work on a daily basis.

Thank you, and please don't feel like you need to have knowledge on sprinting to help me out.

@ROUGHRIDER13 , you need to get your knee fixed before sprinting. 3 times a week is too much. Clearly this depends on age and resilience to injury etc but if you get re-occurring tendinitis then that needs to be resolved. Sprinting won't fix it, nor will one day off. Pain free, good mobility, strength,pain free running, strength, sprinting. Of course you can sprint in pain just that you will be slow. And then it'll hurt. Sorry, have speedy recovery.

@ROUGHRIDER13, here's what little I know about sprinting - if you're a distance runner, you do it once, maybe twice a week, and there are a ton of programs on the Internet you can follow. A sprinting program, OTOH, is a different beast - if it were me, I'd want a coach telling me how much and how fast and how far and how often and also critiquing my form.

JMO.

-S-

@ROUGHRIDER13, all I know about sprinting is that I suck at it, but regarding your original question, and that we don't have to know anything about sprinting to help you out...

Just looking at what else you're doing, you might try what I'm doing lately on recovery days, which includes rolling, rocking, and a little forward and backward crawling, followed by standard pushups, pullups, inverted rows, bodyweight squats and hanging leg raises. Not a lot of reps of any of these. For context, I'm doing lots of kettlebell work on my normal training days, so these "off days" have no iron involved. You might leave out the squats.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom