all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What to do when injured S&S -R Elbow-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MrSean

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello all, First time posting here. I would like to say thank you firstly, all the forums have been invaluable throughout my s&s journey.

After a year of training S&s with great results, I have recently run into some issues with my R elbow ( it was perfect up until I introduced the 32kgSwings a few weeks ago)(gradual intro) and, of course, BJJ 2-3pw didn't help either. I believe it to be a general overuse issue. Generally, practice s&s 3 times pw.

Note the pain isn't soo bad during the exercises; however, I have issues straightening my arm out, pointing my thumb down and reverse, and generally, s&s isn't helping this issue. Or could it be BJJ ? I roll with caution.

So I plan to take 3 weeks off (S&S) to mend the stubborn elbow & I feel like after a year of weekly s&s the body would benefit. During this time, I will be seeing a physio, to be sure of my injury.

Q: What do you guys & gals do to replace s&s when injured? I love the programme..I am off work atm, and I will lose my mind more or less without having s&s.

I've ordered some iron mind finger bands. I have 8,16,24,32,40 kg bells. Pull up and dip bars, but I don't think this will help my elbow thou. I have a massage gun also.

Thanks for reading

Hello all, First time posting here. I would like to say thank you firstly, all the forums have been invaluable throughout my s&s journey.

After a year of training S&s with great results, I have recently run into some issues with my R elbow ( it was perfect up until I introduced the 32kgSwings a few weeks ago)(gradual intro) and, of course, BJJ 2-3pw didn't help either. I believe it to be a general overuse issue. Generally, practice s&s 3 times pw.

Note the pain isn't soo bad during the exercises; however, I have issues straightening my arm out, pointing my thumb down and reverse, and generally, s&s isn't helping this issue. Or could it be BJJ ? I roll with caution.

So I plan to take 3 weeks off (S&S) to mend the stubborn elbow & I feel like after a year of weekly s&s the body would benefit. During this time, I will be seeing a physio, to be sure of my injury.

Q: What do you guys & gals do to replace s&s when injured? I love the programme..I am off work atm, and I will lose my mind more or less without having s&s.

I've ordered some iron mind finger bands. I have 8,16,24,32,40 kg bells. Pull up and dip bars, but I don't think this will help my elbow thou. I have a massage gun also.

Thanks for reading
Welcome.

My suggestion is to wait until you know what your actual diagnosis is and then report back.

If you're doing the swings with good form they really shouldn't be causing any elbow issues because the elbows are are immobilised during the swing. If you've rushed your progress to the 32kg bell there could be some tendon issues due to separation of the joint but that would be a low percentage chance because most people self regulate quite well.
I went through a similar situation when I was going for a purple belt in BJJ when the intensity stated to step up, my escapes were less than perfect and some of my escapes weren't drilled well enough, so my elbows took the brunt of my lack of experience. It could well be the swings but it could be something else causing the issues too.

Are you a newsletter subscriber? There was a rest-pause protocol with "rooted jumps", which could replace swings. You could also try sprint repeats.

Finger extensor training is highly recommended for elbow health (as mentioned in S&S). You could also try thera bar tyler wists (or reverse twists).

I would try carries as TGU replacements (bear carries or shoulder carries) - and possibly some hanging.

I’ve developed a bit of golfers elbow this past year due to a fair amount of golf over the summer and pushing the pull-ups too hard. This has been a huge help for me.

I’d recommend staying away from pull-ups and weighted carries for a bit. If the pain sticks around maybe hit up a physical therapist. Good luck.

If you're doing the swings with good form they really shouldn't be causing any elbow issues because the elbows are are immobilised during the swing. If you've rushed your progress to the 32kg bell there could be some tendon issues due to separation of the joint but that would be a low percentage chance because most people self regulate quite well.
I went through a similar situation when I was going for a purple belt in BJJ when the intensity stated to step up, my escapes were less than perfect and some of my escapes weren't drilled well enough, so my elbows took the brunt of my lack of experience. It could well be the swings but it could be something else causing the issues too.
Yes, I think the demanding nature of BJJ on the grip may have caused my issue, the more I think about it, doing x amount of Bjj paired with x amount of S&S doesn't allow a lot of time for the elbow/hand/grip to fully recover. Thanks for you advice

Are you a newsletter subscriber? There was a rest-pause protocol with "rooted jumps", which could replace swings. You could also try sprint repeats.

Finger extensor training is highly recommended for elbow health (as mentioned in S&S). You could also try thera bar tyler wists (or reverse twists).

I would try carries as TGU replacements (bear carries or shoulder carries) - and possibly some hanging.
I will have a look into the rooted jumps.

I initially did not think much of the finger extensor training when I read it in the book; it makes great sense for elbow/grip health.

Therabar ordered lads look forward to giving it a shot

A diagnosis will help to work out what restrictions you should follow whilst rehabbing that elbow (ie as recommended by Physiotherapist or Sports Physician). Of course assuming no other non-elbow injuries or restrictions you can do lower body work (that does not load the upper body-elbow). For example, bridge work on shoulders (may be 1 legged), bodyweight squats, planks on the forearms may be an option (if physio says OK). For upper body work, show the physio what upper body mobility work you plan on doing during rehab or get them to recommend as you will probably be able to commence that sooner than loaded work. The main thing is to know what it is you are dealing with and to get sensible exercises that keep you out of pain and on the road to recovery. Do try and find a sports physician or physiotherapist who is used to training strength athletes. Ask questions so you understand what you can and cannot do including how much progress you can expect over time (ie to avoid an aggravation). Good luck.

I’ve developed a bit of golfers elbow this past year due to a fair amount of golf over the summer and pushing the pull-ups too hard. This has been a huge help for me.

I’d recommend staying away from pull-ups and weighted carries for a bit. If the pain sticks around maybe hit up a physical therapist. Good luck.
I don’t know the OP’s elbow issue or if this would help, but I got the theraband flexbar (green) as well, and while it felt good it never really fixed my golfers elbow that was caused by chin ups. It plagued me for about a year. Surprisingly, the only thing that ended up solving the issue was MORE chin-ups. Specifically, the Mark Rippetoe pin firing program (Elbow Tendonitis: How It Occurs and What to Do About It | Jordan Burnett). Within 2-3 weeks, symptoms finally disappeared and haven’t returned since. I highly recommend it if golfer’s elbow is actually the problem.

Last edited:
I will have a look into the rooted jumps.

I initially did not think much of the finger extensor training when I read it in the book; it makes great sense for elbow/grip health.

Therabar ordered lads look forward to giving it a shot
Good luck!

The mail was called "The rest-pause tactic for your stop-start training" (6th July), btw.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom