all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What training do you feel benefits your mental function the most?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
"However when I try to research it, all I get are vague descriptions of the method, no guided meditations or simple instructions – just buy this book or pay for our course. I can't see how a meditation that you have an entire book to even get a clue of how to carry out can be particularly relaxing. The whole thing seems a bit like a cult/sales pitch to me. I wonder if he has simply repackaged a very simple meditation such as the open awareness one from Zen where you try hold everything that is in awareness without being attached to any specific thing – hence the difference to for example focusing on the breath, and his successors are now trying to make money off this re packaging."

Meares was an internationally recognised medical hypnotist who helped patients using hypnosis within his psychiatric speciality. Over time, during the 1950s, Meares' transitioned to exclusively teaching his type of meditation. He continued to teach it for decades to patients and public until he passed away in the mid1980s. Hence, there no guided meditations as such although as I mentioned he wrote books before he passed away. People learn either from books or face to face. If someone decides to opt for the latter I would suggest that they read one of his books so as to ensure that someone purporting to teach his method has been trained to do so.

No "repackaging" rather, reverse engineering is closer. His approach enables one to learn how to experience the still mind. However, those who wish can keep up "trying to hold everything that isn't awareness without being attached to any specific thing" or "focus on breathing" if that is what they prefer. Yet, "trying", "hold everything that isn't awareness without being attached" and "focus on breathing" all involve mental activity. If the mind is active it cannot be still so the best that can be expected from these approaches is a dull monotone. Counting breath or focussing on breath will prevent the mind from becoming still. Trying is the opposite of relaxation. Holding is the same. To pass into stillness means that these things disappear. Actually, it also means learning 2 methods ie the montone method and then passing to stillness. Some people keep the monotone and marvel when they accidentally slip into stillness.

Summarizing circumstances where the mind stills:
  1. A formal symmetrical posture and an element of tiny discomfort is needed. Sitting in a chair will do.
  2. Relax the body.
  3. Relax the mind.
  4. The relaxation is effortless.
  5. Let it expand and the mind will slow down and become still.
  6. In stillness lies calm.
  7. Also, you can learn to let the calm after meditation flow on through your day.
That's it.

Those who have learnt it marvel at the simple, straightforward instructions summarised above.

On this forum, there are many discussions about shifting a kettlebell from the ground to the rack or over the head. We discuss the getup, clean, press, swing. Whole levels of complexity described in a single word. When you snatch it all happens in an instant, however, those learning find detailed explanation will help to experience it. That level of detail is a book (or face to face coach) and well beyond a long post.

I got myself an e-book of this Amazon product ASIN 0646966936

That book explains what you need to know.

A book uses words. If there are no words, there is no book (unless it's a picture book). Meares' meditation involves feelings in the body and the mind (rather than thoughts). However, words are the vehicle to explain it. Good luck in your practice.

Mental health training = chopping wood or trying to drive a tire through the earth with a sledgehammer

Would love to hear peoples experience. If you were training solely for alertness, energy and maybe cognitive function throughout the day, what would you pick?

So far, Quick and the Dead. The rest intervals are long enough to recover, but doing it under a time constraint prevents me from getting sucked into social media. During each set, I’m totally in the moment and focused on generating as much power while under control with each rep. I love it, it makes me feel even more focused and accomplished after my training for the day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom