all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What weight should I use for the warmup?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tobias Wissmueller

Level 7 Valued Member
I am unsure what weight is most beneficial for the prying goblet squat and the halos.

The book does not state an exact weight or an recommendation other than "Pick up a light kettlebell ...".

What is light? Somewhere in the forum I read, the prying goblet squat should be done with your swing weight.

EDIT: Typo in the title, that should be "warm-up". Any way to correct that @Steve Freides?

Last edited:
It depends. :)

The warm-up (I like the term "movement prep" better ) should facilitate the best swings & get-ups possible. That means perfect technique with load-you-can-feel (& time under tension). So don't go to heavy so technique start to deteriorate but not to light so it will not challenge your motor-control at all.

It might take a few sessions to find the sweet spot, but I think @pet' guideline numbers are a great place to start if your doing S&S with 24kg or higher, and maybe a 1/2 size down is your S&S weight is lower. For me dropping the weight of my armbars down from 20kg to 16kg was a great improvement.

EDIT: Typo in the title, that should be "warm-up". Any way to correct that @Steve Freides?
Title changed to "warmup" - as of this writing, both "warm-up" and "warmup" are considered correct English.

As to the weight, remember that this is a loaded mobility drill, not a strength training exercise per se. As you go heavier, I think you'll find you start to limit your range of motion to be able to control the weight better - I wouldn't go that heavy.

-S-

Great question. I do have a follow up to the answers provided. What if your TGU & Swing weights are different? People just starting with 2HS will have a heavier kettlebell than experienced kettlebell practitioners performing the 1HS. Thus, the get up and the swing weights will be different.

For example. I am swinging a 24 kg kettlebell with two hands, and working towards the 16 kg for all five sets of get ups. Which weight would I halve for my warm ups of halos & goblet squats?

Hello,

@Michael Scott
Sure 24 will be too heavy IMO.
I would try 16 and 20 and see the one I am the most comfortable (perfect form, ROM and potential fatigue (you are not supposed to be tired at all after the WU)).

Instinctively, I'd go for 16

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great answer, thank you @Shahaf Levin. I am currently using the 12 kg kettlebell. I will eventually step up to the 16 kg, but that step in my journey towards Simple hasn't been taken yet.

I meant half KB size (4kg) if you GU less than 24kg, but half the weight will probably work better when you work with heavy weights.

As @pet' and @Steve Freides said, it's loaded mobility. Let your ROM and freshness levels dictate the load, err on the side of less.

I'm currently training with a 32. I used to attempt to do the prying goblet squats with curls with my 24 but have recently found that the goblet squats are actually more beneficial for me with a 16. I focus on squeezing the handle of the bell to warm up my hands and prying as deeply as possible into the squat. This has saved me energy that I can devote to stronger swings and get ups.

This is a great thread, I'm currently working 1HS with (Kg)12, 16, 16, 16, 12 and the same split for get ups.

I was using the 'same weight as swings' philosophy, and doing GS at 16k, but yesterday I did 12, 16, 12 for the sets, a closer match to my swing weights, but as I posted in another thread, I feel like my warm up is not 'short enough' as others. I may opt for 12, 12, 12 today to compress the time.

I don't have issues with my operated knee yet. But if I wan't to play on a safer side and leave goblet squats out. Is that okay? I would do Banded Olympic Wall Squats for mobility to a comfort level.

I need KBs for two exercises in my warmup: Goblet Squats & Single Leg Deadlift
For the GS I started out with the 16Kg and went down to the 12. The goal is to go to the 8 and then bodyweight only, because I'm one of those people who need the counterweight for a better squat and so I try to reach that form without a weight.
For the SLDL I use a 16, 5 slow reps per side.

Hello,

@masa
To stay safe, I would use then a combination of bodyweight moves: Slow motion 2 legs squats, single leg deadlifts, eventually some back bridges.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom