all posts post new thread

Barbell What would a strength-enurance program with the barbell look like?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Just curious. S&S is good because it puts your body through strength-endurance training, which I believe to be very good for your heart, your nervous system, and to sweat out crap in your blood stream. How would one train with a barbell to achieve these kind of gains?

Complexes?

Exactly that.

Complexes such as the Javorek Complex one (6×upright rows, 6×high-pull snatches, 6×backsquat-push presses, 6×bent-over rows and 6×good mornings) can be modified with different weight/reps to emphasise either hypertrophy or strength endurance.

This sort of thing looks like it would need to be programmed really carefully as it looks like you could really beat yourself up if you try to go too heavy. The man in the video is using 50% of his C&J 1RM and seems to be working pretty hard.

While I'm here and we're on the subject, in The Russian Kettlebell Challenge, Pavel references Peary Rader, the editor of Ironman magazine in the 1950s, who advocates high-rep 'puff and pant' clean and jerks for conditioning/hypertrophy as the C&J utilises almost every muscle in the body.

You could do this with a barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells or a sandbag. What's not to like?

My favorite complex:

Clean
Press
FSQ
Row
Push up

In between sets, maybe a plank or carry. Usually though I just do C+P+FSQ, adding other things I need to work on afterwards, The press limits the weight for the other moves, but the overall package is still pretty demanding.

How about Justa's singles, mainly the every-other-day template... And if one really wants Dave Withley's adaptation for double KB press with deadlifts or squats

Just curious. S&S is good because it puts your body through strength-endurance training, which I believe to be very good for your heart, your nervous system, and to sweat out crap in your blood stream. How would one train with a barbell to achieve these kind of gains?

Easy. Just choose a tight selection of key lifts and do them every-minute-on -the-minute style. Between one and three reps, for as long as you wish (I'd suggest between fifteen and twenty minutes, though). No more than two lifts per session.

Take your current 5RM,

Take a look at Bryce Lane's "Have It All" article. It's pretty much the above, following a looser, more natural scheme.

Usually though I just do C+P+FSQ, adding other things I need to work on afterwards, The press limits the weight for the other moves, but the overall package is still pretty demanding.
Great minds think alike ;) I've been doing just that for past several weeks. Start w/ a few TGU's, then the complex X 10, then 2X5 Romanian DL/s, and a couple heavy carries to finish. Feels like quite a bit but not too much.

Easy. Just choose a tight selection of key lifts and do them every-minute-on -the-minute style. Between one and three reps, for as long as you wish (I'd suggest between fifteen and twenty minutes, though). No more than two lifts per session.

Take your current 5RM,

Take a look at Bryce Lane's "Have It All" article. It's pretty much the above, following a looser, more natural scheme.
This kind of thing just suits me better. I think the science supports the benefits to your health of a "strength-endurance" plan over just strength.

The swings in S+S take about 10 seconds each set to perform. This is within range of your quick power energy system and keeps you out of lactic buildup. I'd avoid pushing barbell events (i.e. complexes) past 10-15 seconds per set.

You could potentially do A+A sets with a demanding power exercise like squats or cleans. Do sets of no more than 10 reps, rest until you catch your breath and reduce heartrate a bit and then repeat.

I'd think it would work better doing traditional strength workouts and strength endurance workouts separate. Just wondering if you can increase full body strength focusing on just strength endurance in this manner.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom