all posts post new thread

Barbell What would be the ideal rep range to train for both strength and hypertrophy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Capsule

Level 3 Valued Member
What would be the ideal rep range to train for both strength and hypertrophy using a barbell? I'm not concerned with solely one or the other, for my vanity I'd love to grow larger muscles but I would also be disappointed if those muscles weren't as strong as they appeared. What would be the ideal balance when training for both strength and hypertrophy?

5x5 has the boast of building more strength/muscle than any other set/rep range. As a compromise between the two goals I've never heard it seriously questioned although I don't believe anyone claims it's best for strength or best for hypertrophy

The Bear, from PTTP, is made to deliver exactly what you describe, and it's pretty much a boat load of 5's.

I'm going to agree with pretty much everyone above here... 5 reps is definitely the way to go! I often use 5x5 for all the major lifts like DL, bench, and squat in my own training routines and in my athlete's routines. I think it's the best balance for both. >
But yeah honestly the best thing you can do is vary your reps from time to time. You shouldn't get stuck on a single rep range. Vary the,m from routine to routine... or many use lower rep's for major lifts and then higher rep ranges (and even supersets, drop sets, and stuff like that ) for your "complimentary" exercises :)

5x5 has the boast of building more strength/muscle than any other set/rep range. As a compromise between the two goals I've never heard it seriously questioned although I don't believe anyone claims it's best for strength or best for hypertrophy
Would the weight I'm using need to be heavy enough to bring me to failure after 5 repetitions and then I drop the weight to reach 5 reps until failure the next set?

Would the weight I'm using need to be heavy enough to bring me to failure after 5 repetitions and then I drop the weight to reach 5 reps until failure the next set?

Please give us some details of your training so advice provided can be in proper context...

5x5 is commonly interpreted as five sets at the same weight with weight added when five sets can be satisfactorily completed

StrongFirst is based on Pavel's principles, based on classic American and Russian programming.

One of the main principles is: “Train as often as possible, as heavy as possible, as fresh as possible.” (Zatsiorsky)

Pavel advises against going to failure. Actually you are supposed to do 1/3 to 2/3 of the reps you could do with a given weight per set, rarely going closer to failure (1-2 reps short). In most of Pavel's plans the overall volume drives the hypertrophy gains, often combined with shortened rest (1-2 minutes between sets instead of 3-5 minutes of rest for strength). The Russian Bear from PTTP works like this, and so do the ladders from ETK and ROTK.

Hypertrophy can be based on
a) mechanical load (lifting heavy or moderately heavy with a decent amount of overall volume)
b) cell damage (going to failure)
c) hormonal environment (increasing hormones that drive muscle growth, for example by resting only 1-2 minutes or by optimizing exercise order)

Point B is the easiest, because you get immediate feedback. However, you will also have negative side effects like possible injuries, fatigue, etc. Therefore: Focus on quality reps with perfect form (similar tempo on all reps) and intense muscle tension for sets of 5 with enough rest to repeat the effort. (The last sets will probably leave you closer to failure).

But, as we say in German, many roads lead to Rome.

What would be the ideal rep range to train for both strength and hypertrophy using a barbell? I'm not concerned with solely one or the other, for my vanity I'd love to grow larger muscles but I would also be disappointed if those muscles weren't as strong as they appeared. What would be the ideal balance when training for both strength and hypertrophy?

Maximum Strength Training

1) Low Reps of 1- 5 Per Set

2) Load of 80% plus of 1 Repetition Max

3) Rest Periods between set of 3 minutes or longer.

Hypertrophy Strength Training

1) Moderate to High Reps of 8 plus Per Set

2) Load of 60% plus of 1 Repetition Max

3) Rest Periods between set of around 1 minutes or longer.

Conjugate Training

The means training different type of Strength (Maximum, Power, Hypertrophy) in the same program.

Dr Michael Zourdos Conjugate Training Protocol

Whole body training was performed, as such...

1) Monday: Hypertrophy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Friday: Maximum Strength

Zourdos determined that this type of program elicited a...

Synergistic Effect

The sum is greater than it parts. It like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 5!

Each Strength enhance the other.

Zourdos' is one method. There are other way to perform it that work, as well.

Know Your Percentages

This is a good article that goes into how to train the various type of Strengths.

Personally I like doing a strength phase followed by a hypertrophy phase. It keeps me chasing one rabbit at a time.

For example I did a cycle of RoP, hit a strength PR and now switched to a Dan John hypertrophy program for a cycle. Strength feeds into hypertrophy cycles really well, and muscle mass feeds into strength really well.

Maximum Strength Training

1) Low Reps of 1- 5 Per Set

2) Load of 80% plus of 1 Repetition Max

3) Rest Periods between set of 3 minutes or longer.

Hypertrophy Strength Training

1) Moderate to High Reps of 8 plus Per Set

2) Load of 60% plus of 1 Repetition Max

3) Rest Periods between set of around 1 minutes or longer.

Conjugate Training

The means training different type of Strength (Maximum, Power, Hypertrophy) in the same program.

Dr Michael Zourdos Conjugate Training Protocol

Whole body training was performed, as such...

1) Monday: Hypertrophy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Friday: Maximum Strength

Zourdos determined that this type of program elicited a...

Synergistic Effect

The sum is greater than it parts. It like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 5!

Each Strength enhance the other.

Zourdos' is one method. There are other way to perform it that work, as well.

Know Your Percentages

This is a good article that goes into how to train the various type of Strengths.
I am also interested in a combined hypertrophy and strength training. What would training for power on Wednesday look like? As far as I am getting this correctly, Monday should be the hypertrophy training that you described and Friday should be the Maximum strength training that you described. What differs on Wednesday?

What would training for power on Wednesday look like?

Power Training Percentages

Power Training Percentages are dependent on the type of exercise performed.

1) Traditional Exercise

Percentages of 48 - 62% of 1 Repetition Max develop Power in exercises such as: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press (any Pressing Movement).

2) Olympic Lift Movements

Percentages of 70 - 80% of 1 Repetition Max in an Olympic Lift Movement such as: Power Clean, High Pull Clean or Snatch, Hang Clean or Snatch is the effective range.

3) Kettlebell Swings

Loads with 30% of body weight and higher produce/develop Power. Thus, if you weight 180 lbs, perform Kettlebell Swings with a 60 lb or higher Kettlebell or home made Hungarian Core Blaster.

4) Trap Bar Jumps

In place of a Trap Bar, Dumbbells can be used.

These weighted jumps are essentially the same as the jump with Olympic Pulls; Power Cleans, etc.

Maximum Strength, Power and Speed Training Sets and Repetitions

All of these types of Strength Training employ the same number of Sets and Repetitions.

The difference between them is the Training Percentage that is used...

1605794602520.png
Source: Out-Lift the Big Guys, Out-Perform the Little Guys | T Nation

Last edited:
Power Training Percentages

Power Training Percentages are dependent on the type of exercise performed.

1) Traditional Exercise

Percentages of 48 - 62% of 1 Repetition Max develop Power in exercises such as: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press (any Pressing Movement).

2) Olympic Lift Movements

Percentages of 70 - 80% of 1 Repetition Max in an Olympic Lift Movement such as: Power Clean, High Pull Clean or Snatch, Hang Clean or Snatch is the effective range.

3) Kettlebell Swings

Loads with 30% of body weight and higher produce/develop Power. Thus, if you weight 180 lbs, perform Kettlebell Swings with a 60 lb or higher Kettlebell or home made Hungarian Core Blaster.

4) Trap Bar Jumps

In place of a Trap Bar, Dumbbells can be used.

These weighted jumps are essentially the same as the jump with Olympic Pulls; Power Cleans, etc.

Maximum Strength, Power and Speed Training Sets and Repetitions

All of these types of Strength Training employ the same number of Sets and Repetitions.

The different between them is the Training Percentage that is used...

View attachment 11930
Source: Out-Lift the Big Guys, Out-Perform the Little Guys | T Nation

Wow! Thank you, that helps me a lot!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom