all posts post new thread

Bodyweight What would be the ultimate bodyweight as opposed to no equipment program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
you won't regret it!
True. I got them. It turns out my doorframe chinning bar isn't a good spot because they're in the way there and the door isn't wide enough, but I put them on my parallell bars and it feels like I've just doubled the weight loaded on myself for dips! WOW! This is my cheap little ticket to ridiculous judo strength! Today I just tried isometric holds with it for as long as possible (a few seconds each). Brilliant little contraption!

Yes, a doorframe bar isn't ideal for ring mounting. In fact, even 9- or 10-foot high ceilings aren't ideal because the gymnasts work with them in gymnasiums with ceilings several times that height.

I have two sets of rings. One is mounted almost 10 feet off the ground, and the other hang from a chinup bar that's about 8 feet off the ground. I use the lower ones for dips and the like, the higher ones for skin-the-cat, lever work, pullups, etc.

-S-

... My question is, in terms of SF philosophy, what would the ultimate program for bodyweight training be, where we are allowed to use equipment like bars and things like that?

THE CHUCK NORRIS 3000 PROGRAM
5 sets of 5 reps of the following exercises
  • Pistol Squat L/R
  • One Arm One Leg Push-up L/R
  • Muscle Up

I've heard Pavel did it with Putin back in the late 1980s when they were training at the KGB center in Vladivostok

:)

/M

True. I got them. It turns out my doorframe chinning bar isn't a good spot because they're in the way there and the door isn't wide enough, but I put them on my parallell bars and it feels like I've just doubled the weight loaded on myself for dips! WOW! This is my cheap little ticket to ridiculous judo strength! Today I just tried isometric holds with it for as long as possible (a few seconds each). Brilliant little contraption!

I've hooked up rings on many different places, sturdy branches, rafters and pull-up bars. there a great travel companion! though if you chose a branch you have to REAL confident.

• Pistol Squat L/R
  • Muscle Up

I've heard Pavel did it with Putin back in the late 1980s when they were training at the KGB center in Vladivostok

/M
I have Putin's Judo book, which is excellent. This list above is possibly the inspiration for Naked Warrior, and we notice the Muscle Up as the third exercise. Interesting.

Yes, a doorframe bar isn't ideal for ring mounting. In fact, even 9- or 10-foot high ceilings aren't ideal because the gymnasts work with them in gymnasiums with ceilings several times that height.

I have two sets of rings. One is mounted almost 10 feet off the ground, and the other hang from a chinup bar that's about 8 feet off the ground. I use the lower ones for dips and the like, the higher ones for skin-the-cat, lever work, pullups, etc.

-S-
I'm not minding the rings on my doorframe now. My kids are competitive gymnasts and they like them there, so I let them put them there, and I'm finding them fine. I get more exercise with them clearly than on the fixed bar or the parallel bars. They don't stop me from doing chinups anyhow, so I'll still do them. They're fantastic for dips. Basically, super amazing!

It fascinates me how, because I'm so persistent about building my strength more and more, unexpected jackpots keep happening, one after another from time to time in terms of new revelations, and I keep improving.

Strength is no walk in the park. I can tell by comparing myself with many of you on the forum that I have a very long way to go before I get as strong as I can. In any case, the rings are clearly going to make a huge difference, and I suspect they'll help me with S&S, since the grip is similar at least.

• Pistol Squat L/R
  • Muscle Up

I've heard Pavel did it with Putin back in the late 1980s when they were training at the KGB center in Vladivostok (a joke)

:)

/M

The "fittest" I've ever gotten was doing Steve Maxwell's Five Pillar Bodyweight Training System. I know it's not StrongFirst but the system is excellent and foolproof.

The "fittest" I've ever gotten was doing Steve Maxwell's Five Pillar Bodyweight Training System. I know it's not StrongFirst but the system is excellent and foolproof.
  • Pushing
  • Pulling
  • Hinge
  • Squat
  • Core

So perhaps:
  • ring dips and TGU
  • chinups and kettlebell swings
  • kettlebell swings
  • the TGU has a squat in it
  • the TGU again for core?

In other words, I'm doing it?

Hello,

@Kozushi
I'd choose something like:
- pull up (or chin up)
- dip
- deadlift / single leg deadlift
- pistol squat
- LSit / HS Plank / Lalanne Plank

SL Deadlift is great - IMO - because it focuses on balance and anti-twist as well. However, it does not prevents from full tension technique.

From there, plenty of options depending on if we target strength or "conditioning":
- Slowing the pace (both on positive and negative phase) or doing at least slow eccentric (and normal / fast concentric) for strength and some hypertrophy.
- Normal / fast pace all the way up and down for something more conditioning oriented.

Of course, something "hybrid" is possible as well, using hard move variations (Muscle up, OAP, pistol, slow pull up / assisted OA pull up, etc...). When running hybrid stuff, Pavel's protocol works well: Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst So this is perfectly possible to add move to this protocol, but following the same logic.

Kind regards,

Pet'

• Pushing
  • Pulling
  • Hinge
  • Squat
  • Core
So perhaps:
  • ring dips and TGU
  • kettlebell swings

But remember the thread specifies bodyweight.... :)

Tigran Goricki is the best Croatian gymnastics trainer. I met him few days ago and asked him a question: what is THE BEST bodyweight excercise, pull ups, muscle ups, pushups...? He said: "without any doubt, ROPE CLIMBING!".

• Pushing
  • Pulling
  • Hinge
  • Squat
  • Core
So perhaps:
  • ring dips and TGU
  • kettlebell swings

Not exactly. If you google the system the site should pop up and it'll explain more there.

Tigran Goricki is the best Croatian gymnastics trainer. I met him few days ago and asked him a question: what is THE BEST bodyweight excercise, pull ups, muscle ups, pushups...? He said: "without any doubt, ROPE CLIMBING!".

Absolutely!
Coach Summers is also a big fan of them.

By the way:
I remember an old pavel routine,wich he used for himself:
Clean and press
Pistol
Rope climb

Could some of the old members who knew him back then tell us a little bit more about it?
Steve Freides,maybe?
Would be great!
Sounds like the majority of my training last year(y)

i wonder how can i get the swing/ snatch benefits from bodyweight exercises?

Short answer you can’t. Swings a a ballistic driven from your hips that use and strengthen your Lats, core and grip. The snatch simulate benifits and overhead stability. The closest movement I can think of is jumping.
Snatch benefits what other than overhead stability?

For the bodyweight 1/2 of my garage gym I have the follow:
rings, stall bar, higher parallettes use for dips, lower parallettes used for l-sits and tuck to handstands work, plus a tumble mat.

For the other 1/2:
Kettlebells, Barbells, Ropes, Sliders, Boxes, Rack w/ pullup bar etc.

@Kozushi so the also seems to win as fare as trap, delt and even biceps strengthening and hypertrophy also in my experience tax the lungs more. Different movements for different things.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom