all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What would you do if you had to start over?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would have treated strength training more as a skill/practice instead of a race. More than once (as in “many”) I’ve set myself back with injuries trying to meet a certain number too soon whether it be weight or time and in my older age I’m paying for it right now. Pride will get you hurt every time.

I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out.
I've made a fool of myself many times along my fitness journey, and I've ruined opportunities because of ignorance (high school wrestling, I'm talking about you), but my failures (and there are so many of them, I swear I have to be in some of those gym fail videos) are usually what I look to for information when plotting a new course.
As much as I wish I didn't have the memories that make me cringe, I would hate to be without their insight.

Regarding fitness, strength training etc there's not much I'd change. I was introduced and coached to shot putting , weight training and weightlifting as a teenager, then continued to study WL-coaching as an adult so there's a bunch of experience and knowledge of fitness and training in my bucket which I'm happy with.

However, if I could turn back time, I'd change other qualities of life such as:
- work less
- quit the job I don't like
- be more selfish, say no
- listen to my body
- sleep more
- travel more
- test new sports, hobbies and activities
- learn new skills, anything (snowboarding, welding, painting...)

The positive is I'm "only" 44 - hopefully same amount of years to follow? I still have time. Have started my new journey already...

If I could start all over, I would focus on:
  1. More Consistency. Showing up every day and not viewing my training as "optional".
  2. More Skill Building. Much more focus on "how" vs. "what" I was doing - take it slow, don't rush the process.
  3. More Strength. I waited way too long (once I had the skill from consistent practice) to start challenging myself with more serious strength goals.
Thankfully, I can now apply these learnings (at least #1 and #2) to fun new pursuits like Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

Probably KB Sport. Some of the weight they snatch and press for 10 minutes is insane. Add in walking and body weight moves to balance things out.

I wish I had found kettlebells when I was playing competitive football. The swing and TGU has so much potential for goalkeepers in soccer.
Same here, I played american football. I would be so much better player if I knew everything I know now.

And for the other things:
  • focusing on getting stronger, not looking stronger
  • focusing on basic barbell, kettlebell and bodyweight movements instead of bodybuilding, isolation exercises on machines
  • focusing on the process, not the goal
  • listening to my body
  • finding how much fun I have from lifting weights much earlier than on my late 20s
...but on the other side I actually would not changed anything, I am very happy of where I am: constantly becoming stronger, moving better, surrounded by wise and kind StrongFirst community. I am happy that I meet you folks now, not 20 or 30 years later.

I would start training in my teens. If I knew then what I know now, I would learn skills from a StrongFirst-esque teacher. Then, I would be regularly dining on easy strength, moderate hypertrophy sprinkled with healthy doses of mobility and conditioning. Possibly, I would also engage in some sort of martial arts about which I have no clue even today.

1. Started five years younger, at 32 rather than 37 (being realistic here, with career, children etc, rather than saying my early 20s or younger).
  2. Got an SFG Coach.
  3. Just worked on Simple & Sinister until Sinister, without looking right or left, down the rabbit hole of the internet, or trying to tweak or add or vary routines.
  4. Done much more mobility work.
  5. Not done HIIT.
  6. Then gone on to PTTP.
  7. Then got a StrongFirst coach to design me a barbell program.
  8. Listened, followed, and not added things to well designed programs.
'Variety Syndrome', the internet, tweaking programs, not sticking long-term with programs (i.e. more than a year if necessary) are big hindrances to progress.

Although, I guess it's not too late to start over...

It's only being five years younger I can't control. Nice post and question, get's one thinking about what one should be doing, rather than what one is currently doing.

Listen to my body. I played through pain and worked out through pain, which I'm paying for 20+ years later.

i did many stupid things in the past, but i will not change anything because of lessons that i learned. like broke my legs makes me care more about my lower body strength; tearing anus makes me learn technique properly. the only thing i wish is i'll not forget all the lessons :D

Interestingly, I recently did something similar. Back in the fall, I had to start over after a solid six weeks of NOTHING. Personal and family crises ended my race season a bit short, coupled with the NorCal wildfires, meant I had to start over in the fall. True, I was rebuilding something I had already possessed, but I was really detrained. With no races possible for months, I started from scratch.

First, qigong to move and circulate qi, as much for mental and emotional benefit as physical. Then yoga for the same but with added physical benefit

Then I got back to training. Increasing frequency of runs all at MAF, occasional bike ride. Back to the gym for a four day per week Easy Strength schedule. I had to switch gyms to a little suburban soccer mom gym with no way to do conventional BB squat, bench, or DL. But with the help of folks on Dan John's forum came up with a plan. 40 workouts of that got me through the holidays. Then I skipped the gym for six weeks of daily running, a KB/BW practice, and Ashtanga yoga.

It has been working well, and led me here. I just wish I knew about this stuff years ago.

Since I was in a position to need to "get it back" this gave me a chance to reflect on what "it" actually is.

So, for the things I wish I then that I think I understand now:

Leave the bodybuilding stuff to the bodybuilders. The isolation movements, the machines, the split routines, the complexity. My primary sport has always been outdoors, MTB, skiing, or surfing. Workouts that left me too sore to enjoy being outside didn't help.

To borrow from Maffetone, "No pain, no gain equals no brain!"

Little and often over the long haul. Easy and repeatable done near daily works better than intermittent floggings. I wish I knew about approaches like Easy Strength, S&S, ETK, PTTP, etc. years ago.

Park bench vs bus bench training. To everything there is a season. Spend most seasons on the park bench, and be selective when choosing a bus bench program.

Maffetone Method aerobic training. Using the HRM to stay in check. Unfortunately, Maffetone's writing on strength training kept me away, when I really needed some. But if I did then what I thought strength work was, I would have dug myself another hole to jump into.

Yoga, especially Ashtanga vinyasa. I knew this all along, just a failure to execute. To borrow from Dan John, "It worked so well, I stopped doing it."

Kids, learn from my mistakes! Build an aerobic base with MAF, build a strength base with Easy Strength style training, cultivate your chi/qi/prana and go outside to play! Or whatever else it is you do to enjoy life.

Last edited:
Kids, learn from my mistakes! Build an aerobic base with MAF, build a strength base with Easy Strength style training, cultivate your chi/qi/prana and go outside to play! Or whatever else it is you do to enjoy life.

Smart. Especially balancing the external exercises with internal exercises.

I think many only appreciate the wisdom of this when over the age of 40.

For me it would be to take fitness advice from those who are older, like over 60. Just because they've been there and done that. They also tend to have their training distilled down to what really works. They also remind you that what you do in your youth can come back to bite you in your older age.

Mobility is so important. You don't get second chances with joints.

I also wish I didn't program hop so much. Imagine how much further we'd all be if we just chose one system and stuck with it. The basics work but it takes time, consistency and most of all patience.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom