all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed what would you tell your 18 year old self about training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Consistency beats intensity.
While I understand the sentiment, I'm not sure I agree with this one. If you just show up every day and go too easy, you're not going to get much out of it. I always think about the people I used to see at the gym (when I actually went to one) that I would see every time I was there, but they were always just walking on the treadmill or chatting with everyone for hours. They were consistent, but they never pushed themselves and I never saw them get better at anything.

At the same time, you can't just show up once in a while and kill yourself and think that'll work, but I would take 3 hard 30 minute session a week over 6 1 hr easy sessions any time.

While I understand the sentiment, I'm not sure I agree with this one. If you just show up every day and go too easy, you're not going to get much out of it. I always think about the people I used to see at the gym (when I actually went to one) that I would see every time I was there, but they were always just walking on the treadmill or chatting with everyone for hours. They were consistent, but they never pushed themselves and I never saw them get better at anything.

At the same time, you can't just show up once in a while and kill yourself and think that'll work, but I would take 3 hard 30 minute session a week over 6 1 hr easy sessions any time.
Very true, my issue as an 18yo was killing myself with HIIT wods or home workouts and then doing nothing for a month. I should have taken more note of how fit I was from riding my bike to work every day and applied that towards other aspects of my fitness. Wish I'd read Easy Strength back then too.

Last edited:
You need to create a habit & learn to push yourself initially but once you have proven you can do that don't be afraid to back off & ease up when your body wants you to.

* rehab the knee and get back on the field
*lift weights now!
* do the double shifts, but not that many
* ease up on the booze
* next year, you’re going to move into your future mother in laws place to save up for a house. Great idea and you’ll thank you later, but seriously don’t eat all the food she cooks for you, 10kg adds up pretty quick when she cooks for 20 people when there’s only 3 of you living there haha
* when you do buy the house, borrow more than you think, and buy another one as soon as you can

Jeez, I could go on and on haha!

• Strength is about moving well in challenging ways under load. There are a lot of good reasons to work on it.
  • Find something you enjoy doing and pursue it.
  • Mainstream fitness does not have the answers.
You mean to tell me drinking a ton of preworkout, dry scooping protein powder, and doing as many deadlifts or floppy pull-ups as you can in 2 minutes isn’t the answer?! lol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom