all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed what would you tell your 18 year old self about training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Pick a proven program, follow it to the letter for 2-3 months or longer if it’s still working/enjoyable.

There’s plenty of time to try each program fully rather than jumping from week one of a program to week one of another.

Don't take your 18 year-old's flexibility, mobility, and overall movement freedom and plasticity for granted. Get in the habit of actively practicing to maintain it. You might not need it now, but you need to do it now so you have it later.

You'll lose it (in the words of Ernest Hemingway) "Two ways. Gradually and then suddenly."

Don't wait for it to sneak up on you.

Started at 40 but Covid put a dent in that what with lock downs etc.

Ouch I thought 31/33 was ambitious when I trained

One of the hardest martial arts I have tried to learn IMO but maybe that's just me.

Reactions: Kev
I would tell myself to not get distracted and just to stick with the basics.
Don't take your 18 year-old's flexibility, mobility, and overall movement freedom and plasticity for granted. Get in the habit of actively practicing to maintain it. You might not need it now, but you need to do it now so you have it later.

You'll lose it (in the words of Ernest Hemingway) "Two ways. Gradually and then suddenly."

Don't wait for it to sneak up on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch I thought 31/33 was ambitious when I trained

One of the hardest martial arts I have tried to learn IMO but maybe that's just me.
It is incredibly intricate. It’s a thing that I’m finding you just get battered at until you kinda get battered less. “The gentle way”. I shudder to think what the Jujitsu classes where like that Jigori Kano found “too violent” even though he became top dog in them. Gladiator schools. I love it though. I ain’t going to win all Japan but at least I’m grappling and that’s a manly pursuit in these times….. and then some.

- sleep more
- eat more protein
- stop drinking soda and eating candy all the time
- don’t assume that because you can do something easily now, that you’ll be able to do it easily later in life
- take more rest days or at least easier days
- don’t be in a hurry to make progress

Nothing. I wouldn't have listened.
+1.

Flipping the roles somewhat, my son is nearly 18 and I had been trying to give him advice. After that went as well as a fully-formed adult should have expected, I gave up and decided to just start following his...., since he knows.......EVERYTHING, really about every subject that one could possibly imagine. Turns out he's quite a resource.

Feel free to PM me if anyone would like his direct contact info. Perhaps others could benefit before he wises up and starts charging.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom