all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What WTH effects have you experienced from S&S/Kettlebell training in general?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't know if it's a "WTH" effect (and I'm still struggling with English).

During a thrash metal concert, I wasn't bothered by the pit: I had enough strength and endurance do stay in it.

Any more help in the mosh pit is always a good thing :D

My WTH in a nutshell:
Way more stability in my core..my back feels strong and that really helps my running.
Im running steady and smoothly, I dont wobble and I think its because my core is getting stronger and more stable from using the kb.
And last, its a bit of a vain moment: Im noticing more muscle in my arms. When I use the bell my arms dont really feel like theyre getting too much of a workout well not like they feel after dumbell curls, shoulder work etc, but perhaps its the explosive movements that are building the arm muscles?

I went on my first backpacking trip and didn't feel like I was exerting myself, even walking for several hours with a heavy pack.

I moved a 70-lb air conditioner for my boyfriend because I could move it easier than him. He told me to be careful of my back. I told him my back could take it and I was more worried about my nails.
I think it's funny to open jars for him too.

My ex left an oxygen machine in the apartment when she left last year and never followed through on having a mutual friend pick it up. Last week she and her boyfriend showed up, then left quickly when they realized I was home. I'm pretty sure they planned to break in. A friend offered to take it to her and my ex - a former elite gymnast who takes an enormous amount of pride in her much-vaunted strength - warned her that it was *really* heavy.
I carried that sucker out to the car and tossed it into the trunk with one hand.
My friend is going to innocently gush about it at my request, because I am petty.

Even though I'm 5'3" and small, and only a few months ago I got tired climbing a flight of stairs, people now automatically think of me as strong and athletic...WTH.

Hello!
I've been waiting a while to post here. This is one of my favorite threads.
Some background:
39, junior college goal keeper (soccer), Muay Thai instructor, lots of kettlebell experience but only recently really focused on form (I've had a few injuries from bad form). I've been doing S & S for about 5 months now. Using the 25 for swings (still mostly 2-handed). alternating between 25 and 32 for TGU's.

1. Going to the grocery store after my Saturday morning workout and not feeling tired, sore, or being in pain: "WTH? My back doesn't hurt." "WTH? I feel stronger, not smoked."
2. Gearing up for the 32kg TGU, psyching myself up so I can ease into it by doing a half get up, but then moving through the whole movement easily - "WTH? How did I just do that?"
3. Being able to do this workout from 5:00 to 5:40 a.m. every morning. "WHT, why am I not dreading this when my alarm goes off? Why do I have the energy to do this?"
4. It has helped with my planar fasciitis "WTH. This has been a problem for YEARS and nothing has worked!"
5. It helped my endurance at sparring class, despite me taking a month off from classes "WTH? I feel like Nate Diaz!"
6. Skipping steps on stairs. I thought that once I reached a certain age, I'd have to go one step at a time. Three years later I'm skipping steps again.
7. No more knee clicking/crunching. I had ACL reconstruction and multiple meniscus surgeries. I had accepted a weak/crunchy knee for the rest of my life, but that has completely changed. "WTH, my knees feel the same now!"

There's definitely more, but since I just started working with the 32, and I have an athletic background. I haven't really noticed crazy strength gains, more general fitness/rehab stuff. I'm taking my time and soaking it all up. I love that my workout makes me feel good and healthy.
Thanks Pavel!

New to the forum. First post today.

After bro-split training (natural bodybuilding) for almost twenty years I ended up in the hospital where I was told to get used to having "problem shouders" because all they could do was relieve the pain in my shoulders.

I stumbled on some strange canonballs on the internet :) and read all kinds of testimonials about people who got hurt and back in shape again and could perform feats of strenght as if they were some kind of superhero.

Apparently in my home country kettlebells where known to mankind :) so I orderd three of them; 8 KG, 12 KG and 16 KG (35 pounds). When the three boxes arrived and I tried a bottom up press with the 12 KG I really thought I would break my arm. In the mean time I have bought several kettlebells and have all sizes up to 44 KG.

6 years later my shoulders have healed and are not holding me back om working out and living my life any more.. Humbled by these kettlebells and very greatful for what they brought me in terms of strenght, stamina and visual abs at 46.

My WHT effects are:

- Pound for pound stronger then in my bodybuilding days.
- Rest pulse of 45 - 48 from (almost) exclusively training with kettlebells 5 times a week. (mostly ROP program)
- Being able to move furniture around al day and still having energy left to workout.

New to the forum. First post today.

After bro-split training (natural bodybuilding) for almost twenty years I ended up in the hospital where I was told to get used to having "problem shouders" because all they could do was relieve the pain in my shoulders.

I stumbled on some strange canonballs on the internet :) and read all kinds of testimonials about people who got hurt and back in shape again and could perform feats of strenght as if they were some kind of superhero.

Apparently in my home country kettlebells where known to mankind :) so I orderd three of them; 8 KG, 12 KG and 16 KG (35 pounds). When the three boxes arrived and I tried a bottom up press with the 12 KG I really thought I would break my arm. In the mean time I have bought several kettlebells and have all sizes up to 44 KG.

6 years later my shoulders have healed and are not holding me back om working out and living my life any more.. Humbled by these kettlebells and very greatful for what they brought me in terms of strenght, stamina and visual abs at 46.

My WHT effects are:

- Pound for pound stronger then in my bodybuilding days.
- Rest pulse of 45 - 48 from (almost) exclusively training with kettlebells 5 times a week. (mostly ROP program)
- Being able to move furniture around al day and still having energy left to workout.
Awesome story ! Welcome to the forum. :)

In combination with DL, working the hinge really improved my MTB inntechnical terrain. It really improved my ability to transition from seated pedaling to standing. Especially the snappy aspects of the swing.

Not KB specific, but as mentioned in another thread that loaded carries were the biggest surprise. The core stability they build translates very well to MTB, and I suspect, everything else.

Since 2007 I’ve experience quite a few WTH effects. This past weekend was my most recent. Leading up to this weekend I’ve Been doing Craig Markers Hybrid Conditioning routine with 1H swings, One arm presses all with a 32Kg and walking on off days. Sessions are about 30 minutes 2-3 days per week. Well this past weekend I help family shingle their lake home. I hadn’t shingled in over a year. I carried 40 80lb bundles up a 20 ft ladder in about a 2 hour time frame and I couldn’t believe how good I felt doing it! I was breathing heavy and sweating but the strength endurance was there for sure. Even better was the next day I had minimal soreness. WTH!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom