all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What WTH effects have you experienced from S&S/Kettlebell training in general?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I recently had an unpleasant medical examination and parts of it were very uncomfortable. My mind said to relax and breath as if practicing S&S breathing through a straw. That was a great help.

lol... That's a great WTH effect!

Did a 7 mile SUP race this past weekend - cold. Managed to beat my arch nemesis and finish respectably given I had not paddled since last August. Somewhat surprised me that I had the umph to run down competitors over the last two miles (in particular my main rival). This after a winter of swinging 28 and 32kg bell - roughly along simple and sinister guidelines.

It's always interesting to me to take lessons, or skills, learned here and apply them to seemingly unrelated endeavors. I made a point to release tension in between strokes - almost do a mini fast and loose - which i think really helped keep my form towards the end. Also I very conciously think of generating power starting in my feet. Paddle stroke , although obviously different, has a lot in common with a swing.

On a side note one of the quasi sponsored pros mentioned to my rival that the only training he did on land was kettlebells. Between that and being beaten by me (I've never beaten him in 3 years of trying..) I think Strongfirst will shortly have a new recruit....

Did a 7 mile SUP race this past weekend - cold. Managed to beat my arch nemesis and finish respectably given I had not paddled since last August. Somewhat surprised me that I had the umph to run down competitors over the last two miles (in particular my main rival). This after a winter of swinging 28 and 32kg bell - roughly along simple and sinister guidelines.

It's always interesting to me to take lessons, or skills, learned here and apply them to seemingly unrelated endeavors. I made a point to release tension in between strokes - almost do a mini fast and loose - which i think really helped keep my form towards the end. Also I very conciously think of generating power starting in my feet. Paddle stroke , although obviously different, has a lot in common with a swing.

On a side note one of the quasi sponsored pros mentioned to my rival that the only training he did on land was kettlebells. Between that and being beaten by me (I've never beaten him in 3 years of trying..) I think Strongfirst will shortly have a new recruit....

You been doing TGUs as well, Rich?

Hi Paul - Yes, TGU along with goblet squats and a from time to time, some weighted pullups, pushups and single leg deadlifts. Later three sprinkled in post workout just because i like doing them.

The one exercise that has produced the most wth moments for me has been the one arm push up.

My latest wth effect. Just finished moving 12.5 ton of landscaping rock shovel by shovel and wheelbarrow full by wheelbarrow full approx 40 Yds to my back yard without ever so much as a sore muscle!!

Kettlebells have made me strong and resilient and Strongfirst principles kept me patient and motivated toward a goal!!!

As someone whose been at this for a while and not made fast progress weight wise (on the 24 at the moment) I've noticed a lot of great effects from this (+OS play abouts and meditation - not sure exactly how to separate which bit has done what).

When I started S and S a couple or so years ago I was having quite bad back pain and was always tweaking something somewhere in silly ways like reaching for a remote control.

So although not there yet on the weights I've had benefits in terms of a more resilient body and getting through daily life smoother. Big thing for me is how the hinge fits into my daily life in the form of the mundane things like getting milk out of a low fridge and picking up things. Plus when working which often involves carrying boxes to and from a van I see it now as practice rather than something that I will regret in the morning and something that will wipe me out for the day - much more mindful of all my movement in general. I've probably trained since my early 20s but looking back everything I was doing was probably done with bad form, no real plan and over time created weakness and imbalances despite looking in decent shape.

One big effect for me as a first time dad at 39 is being able to be pretty active with playing with my kid which involves lots of getting up and down on the floor and crawling and rolling about which was probably not something I could do a couple of years back and its definitely helping lots with his movement development too. Definitely the TGU and the OS stuff has made this possible for me. (plus the baby making process doesn't wipe my back out! big positive there)

So although its been a slow road for me and even the simple target is still a long way off for me there has been lots of really noticeable and positive effects both body and mind. I would say though as someone who is taking longer than others there does come the temptation to try different programs and play about with different moves despite not having hit the simple target.

I'm 39 and have joined the local Civil Air Patrol squadron as a chaplain. Last week we had PT testing for the cadets, all ages 12-19. I dressed out with the kids, which most adult members don't do. I don't run often, but got an 8:21 mile, and 70 pushups. I was the slowest runner, but not one of the kids came close in pushups. Most of my training involves long cycle clean and jerks, with a run about once a week, and a couple of sets of pushups a week.

Today was another WTH when I realized I have continued to lose weight since February despite no exercise because of medical issues not related to kettlebells or diet changes until a few days ago. As to the diet I owe @Pavel Macek a 100 swings with 24kg when practice resumes in a few months.

I'm 39 and have joined the local Civil Air Patrol squadron as a chaplain. Last week we had PT testing for the cadets, all ages 12-19. I dressed out with the kids, which most adult members don't do. I don't run often, but got an 8:21 mile, and 70 pushups. I was the slowest runner, but not one of the kids came close in pushups. Most of my training involves long cycle clean and jerks, with a run about once a week, and a couple of sets of pushups a week.

How do you program the long cycle, PhysicalCulture? One arm?

Several WTH effects so far, but the most satisfying one was moving furniture together with some friends who all regularly go to the gym. More than once did they need to set a piece down because they felt it was either too heavy or they were out of breath while I was barely even breaking a sweat and asking them what was wrong :cool:
Before that they've been mocking me because I'm not going to the gym, benching etc. Now two of them already asked me to show them how to swing properly :D

I had been working on S&S for about a year. One day I grabbed an Ab Wheel and did 20 reps with perfect form. I had never used an Ab Wheel in my life! I was very sore the next couple of days, but it was a great feeling regardless :)

I had been working on S&S for about a year. One day I grabbed an Ab Wheel and did 20 reps with perfect form. I had never used an Ab Wheel in my life! I was very sore the next couple of days, but it was a great feeling regardless :)

Standing??? Surely kneeling? In either case, solid work! Although if standing... I have no words... :O

Been out of shape for a few months during family/work relocation and transition. Before starting S&S 3 weeks ago, I tried hiking with a 50 lb pack and was grossly huffing and puffing and was winded after a short stroll. After a few weeks on the 16kg (still new and getting used to technique), I've been able to hike with the 50lb pack throughout the Blue Ridge mountains of NC, at a decent pace! Not bad. Love the conditioning this program has brought to the table and will continue to get acquainted with this program. Need to shoot a technique video. Great info on this forum, YouTube and from the S&S book! Special thanks to those who have posted their videos (Best reference yet is Ms. Anna C's videos).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom