all posts post new thread

Old Forum Whats a good GPP routine?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

samhinchee

Level 1 Valued Member
Im wondering whats a good GPP routine?

I am reading a lot of comments asking the people who are seeking advise, "whats your goal?" Not everyone wants to be powerlifter, or a martial artist, or a special operator. Some of us just want to be good and active husbands and fathers and friends. being strong enough to help move a couch, and having the stamina to play ball or enjoy being active enough to play with our children.

I know some programs are designed as strength programs. And I there are programs that are designed as endurance programs.

I think for us non-athlete kettlebellers, a program that offers all around GPP would be more appropriate.

What is a good program for GPP, a program that gives you a good balance of strength and conditioning?

"Program minimum+original strength is a good start"

+1

Sam, I am in the exact position you describe. At 64 years of age I doubt if I will be getting many calls from professional sports teams, but that doesn't mean that I can't live with strength and vitality.

The PM and OS is the core of my program. It will be years before I milk them of all they have to offer.

BTW, I feel better and am stronger than I have ever been.

Jim

With KB - Program Minimum

With Barbell - Power to the people

With bodyweight - Naked warrior + Original strenght

Everyday - Fundamental human movements from Intervention.

I like Lukas' post a lot. I would recommend something like fundamental movements every day, work up to a double bodyweight deadlift using pttp, then do blocks of easy strength alternated with PM.

one argument for us middle-aged (and beyond) desk jockeys to challenge ourselves beyond that which is necessary for meeting the minimum immediate needs of our lifestyles when we have the bandwidth to do so is the potential of doing so to further counteract and delay sarcopenia.  What might seem like  time and resources devoted to training strength and muscular development to greater than necessary level is not all self-indulgence, ego gratification, and frivolity; if no occasion should arise that strictly demands those capabilities in the near term, the hope is that the additional reserves pay off in the future as one ages.

Even the masters, ( thats certainly not me) come back and learn that sometimes bare essentials often work the best.

Program Min from the book Enter the Kettlebell till you slowly progress to the heaviest bell you can. This will forfill your needs.

Jim,

I like your style.

I have to respect it when a 64 year old man says it will be years before he milks a S&C program for all it is worth.  I am 50 now, and feel the same way.  You are a few years ahead of me.  I will be 64 soon enough, and hope to have your same attitude when I get there, and beyond.

Any of Pavel's kettlebell routines work great for increasing strength and stamina. A lot of people make fantastic progress just alternating ROP and PM. If you want to work in barbell movements I know a few people who have had great success with Justin Lascek's Strength and Conditioning Program: http://70sbig.com/wp-content/uploads/files/Articles/Lascek_S&CP_v2.0.pdf

It can be a little draining, decent amount of volume with conditioning on top. Kettelbell swings and complexes work great during the conditioning portions.

Im wondering whats a good GPP routine?
Almost any.
I know some programs are designed as strength programs. And I there are programs that are designed as endurance programs.
There is no "all around" training. There must be a focus. The focus should be on strength as everything relies on that. So, make your body stronger, and you will be more fit.
I think for us non-athlete kettlebellers, a program that offers all around GPP would be more appropriate.

What is a good program for GPP, a program that gives you a good balance of strength and conditioning?
Nearly any program. In fact, the key is to enjoy it personally, so you have a lot of control. Just make sure what you choose does not restrict mobility in the long term. You could do a GS, hardstyle, powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, calisthenics, etc based program and get the benefits you want.

So, choose what you enjoy. Every program will be "specific" in some way.

Jeffrey,

Thank you for the kind words. I was slow to catch on, but the need for simplicity and consistency in my training is finally sinking in.

Take my word for it, the next 14 years will be gone in a blink of the eye.

Jim

"Almost any."

This is exactly what came to mind when i read the question. However, i'll put a little qualifier... almost any written by the coaches that know their ... stuff. If you're posting here, you know who they are. If you're new to the iron game, read Dan John's work as he will give you insight that allows you to "separate the wheat from the chaff" when reading the writings of others. I'd also highly recommend reading Jim Wendler's articles and books regarding the N.O.V. philosophy. Whether you use his system or not, his attitude will serve you well.

However, i’ll put a little qualifier… almost any written by the coaches that know their … stuff. If you’re posting here, you know who they are. If you’re new to the iron game, read Dan John’s work as he will give you insight that allows you to “separate the wheat from the chaff” when reading the writings of others.
Good point. That is important. What one does should not cause harm. Always focus on ability in the long term.

If what you are reading is geared towards cosmetics or specific competition goals, it is probably not the best resource to follow, even if they are good for their purpose.

A good GPP program for YOU is specific to YOU and a number of factors need to be taken into consideration before beginning any kind of exercises program :

-  medical screening and postural analysis, past injuries restrictions.

-  fitness testing

- goals, short and long term

- time availability

- training alone, with a partner

- indoor or/ and outdoor

- exercise likes and dislikes.

- diet, and others activities.

After all this basics elements, an exercise program can be considered and designed.

There is no age limit to begin to train with kettlebells, as they deliver all around fitness, could be the best tool for your goals, if you like the idea.

Whatever your choice of fitness tool or no tool, a good technique come first to avoid injuries and to get good results.

Swings are the best GPP that I can think of.  I remember reading years ago someone brought this up and some one said to do swings.  When asked what to do next the answer more and heavier was given;)  Like Jim said, simplicity is where the treasure is kept.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom