all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What's Next?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oso Rojo

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello everyone!
I'm a 57 year old male, 5'10" and 200lbs. I've been doing S&S for 6 months now. I'm at 30kg for swings and 20kg for getups. I'll be ready to move up to 32kg on the swings in about two weeks. Then I have a problem. I'm the kind of guy who want's to know there is a plan for what's next. It helps me to keep my head down and work hard if I know what happens after 32kg.

The problem is 32kg is the largest bell I have. I've collected a full set up completion bells up to 24kg and an adjustable completion bell that goes to 32kg. When I was working my way through the smaller ones they were cheap, a couple of hundred got you alot of bells. Now it's a couple of hundred per bell. I'm not sure the budget work out up in that range.

So I'm looking to you guy for advice. Obviously I have a lot left on my TGU, but what do I do about the swing portion of the workout? Do I stay at 32? Do I increase reps at 32? Do I go find a gym with bells in the 40s? What do you recommend?

Thank you for any advice.

I'm pretty good at the snatch, I found a great trainer out in Santa Fe if anyone needs one.

Would I just replace the swing days with 100 snatch days?

@Oso Rojo I agree with @Steve W., learn to snatch, work up to 1-3 reps (up to 5 when able) with 32kg every 2-3 minutes for 20-30 minutes, you’ll learn a whole different level of alactic power and aerobic recovery.

Thanks! I've been amazed at the aerobic benefit of swinging kettle bells. My resting heart rate is down to about 50! I'm in better cardiac heath than when I was 30 and running 10k a day.

I’d say it depends

If you’re committed to following S&S to the letter, staying with 32k on the swings while bringing up your TGU seems like the most reasonable path. You could certainly mess around with snatches and such, although lots of snatches plus lots of get ups might be hell on your shoulders.

Being “limited” to 32k still leaves you with plenty of options—years ago, 32k was the heaviest bell on the market (16, 24, and 32 were all that was available). There’s plenty of other programs to do and lifts to learn, such that you could easily go for years without needing any new equipment at all.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom