all posts post new thread

Barbell What's the difference between "training max" and "competition max"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don’t have a horse in the race here.... but I’m actually genuinely curious as to why you say this Kenny. If you have the time could you please elaborate a bit.
Thanks
I'm assuming it's something to do with the rapidly-diminishing quota of athlete spots for weightlifting at Paris 2024 (the inclusion of weightlifting in the program is still under review) due to a combination of corrupt/inadequate anti doping practices within the sport by the International Weightlifting Federation and that the IOC doesn't perceive much public interest in strength sports in general.

They may well remove weightlifting entirely but I certainly don't see them rushing out to replace it with powerlifting. I'm not sure how any of this may affect para powerlifting.

This is an excellent book.

Sounds right. Definitely a good general rule.

I need to re-read his book.

Great Point

Information that I previously posted from Zatsiorsky noted the Russians based their Training Percentage of their Competition Max while the Bulgarians based their Training Percentages off their Training Max.

For some reason, people assumed the Bulgarians followed the Russian Training Percentage of their Competition Max. Many articles then incorrectly came to the conclusion that the Bulgarians training were performed with HIgher Training Percentages with longer more frequent training session than the Russians, anyone else.

The reality was the Bulgarian Training Percentages were essentially the same as the Russian; basing it off the Bulgarian Competition Max rather then their Training Gym Max.
The hallmark trait of the so-called Bulgarian method (whatever that is. so many American coaches have an opinion about it, but I'm not sure Abajiev was ever as forthcoming as some want to believe about his methods, especially the high quantity of PED's required to tolerate it. This is my take on it, not original for sure) was the idea of maximums being a transient phenomenon. A max set a month ago wouldn't be accurate or valid today, so training percentages of that max wouldn't be valid either. So in principle, one worked up to a daily max, then did drop set singles at say 85-90% of that daily max. The big idea being you were always working off of your max as it stood at the moment. High intensity lifting most of the time as you would max multiple sessions a day. Athletes morning session would warm up, lift for about 30 minutes, rest for about 30, warm up again and work another 30 on something else, then rest for 30 and so on for about three hours (of which about 90 minutes were work) then go have lunch and a nap. After nap, the afternoon session same as morning. Nap, free time until dinner, them sometimes after dinner an evening session or lecture. I think it was Bob Takano that reported the injury drop-out rate under Abadjiev was in the 90% range. The Russians by comparison and design had way more variety of exercises, lower relative intensities and didn't max out all that often.

That is, indeed, very helpful to see spelled out like that.

-S-
I'm going to quibble with the author's interpretation of the Bulgarian TM, most, if not all had occasional training maxes well above what they hit in competition. In the lighter weight classes, they would be training slightly overweight (and cut to weight class for the meet) but that doesn't change that they were working up to the equivalent and sometimes more than CMs in daily training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom