all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What's the purpose of nonstop swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hmm yes, good point... maybe it was meant to be another sort of benchmark along the way. Interesting that no one ever talks about it. In this whole forum that I've been reading for 4 years now I don't every remember anyone talking about reaching a benchmark of 100 continuous swings when they do the non-stop swings every 2 weeks. Probably becuase hardly anyone even does the nonstop swings.

I like your idea and the criteria. I would just caution not to hold yourself to a standard of 100 continuous swings of the same type and power as the sets of 10 swings. Continuous swings are different -- they have to be. As Pavel told us long ago in this thread, "your swings should still be explosive, although take a lot less effort. Like an experienced fighter who decides to work on a bag for 10min or more and is having a good time."

I think the beest way to get a feel for how to do continuous swings is to take a very light kettlebell (or even a kettlebell substitute, anything light with a handle) and just do continous swings with it. I mean, everyone can move from hinge to plank 100 times in a row. The kettlebell is incidental. Practice making it as easy as possible.
Yes the 100 swings seems to be a forgotten part of if not S&S the program then at least the book. But I do "enjoy" them, and I suspect, that they will have a positive impact on my test days with 1h swings under 5 min, i.e. I hope that it will suck less.
I have tested my 2h max continous swings with the 32kg, 50 reps, last 10 was on fumes. I have 10 tries to get it to 100 (I have set myself 100 S&S training sessions, goes 4 regular Practise days (either EMOM or just by feel), 1 Test day, 4 practise days and 1 All Out Swing day). So in 10 sessions I have 8 Practise days, 1 Test day and 1 All Out Swing day. 4-6 sessions a week. If I meet all Test days (and finish STRONGLY) and get to 100 2h swings with the 32kg, then I can move up in weight to the 40 (I have tested it, I can brute force both swings and TGU) or some other program (ROP/S&J). The idea is, to use Simple Standard to build a solid foundation, and I didn't feel that "only" getting to Simple (test) achieved that. I am hoping that my 100 sessions schema will do the "trick".

I agree - I think the non-stop swing efforts have a very positive impact on the 1H swings under 5 minutes.

A few notes on 2H swings - it may be harder to get a full inhale because both arms are forward, constraining the chest somewhat. Also, there's no break for the grip. So, you might consider allowing yourself to switch to some 1H swings during the set... but, your choice.

I think your schedule sounds good!

it may be harder to get a full inhale because both arms are forward, constraining the chest somewhat
...yup I have noticed! Grip wasn't challenged, as far as I could tell, but legs and breath were suffering.

edit: and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
That is quite the solid plan. I look forward to seeing your progression in your log, which I am headed over to read now.....:D

Yes the 100 swings seems to be a forgotten part of if not S&S the program then at least the book. But I do "enjoy" them, and I suspect, that they will have a positive impact on my test days with 1h swings under 5 min, i.e. I hope that it will suck less.
I have tested my 2h max continous swings with the 32kg, 50 reps, last 10 was on fumes. I have 10 tries to get it to 100 (I have set myself 100 S&S training sessions, goes 4 regular Practise days (either EMOM or just by feel), 1 Test day, 4 practise days and 1 All Out Swing day). So in 10 sessions I have 8 Practise days, 1 Test day and 1 All Out Swing day. 4-6 sessions a week. If I meet all Test days (and finish STRONGLY) and get to 100 2h swings with the 32kg, then I can move up in weight to the 40 (I have tested it, I can brute force both swings and TGU) or some other program (ROP/S&J). The idea is, to use Simple Standard to build a solid foundation, and I didn't feel that "only" getting to Simple (test) achieved that. I am hoping that my 100 sessions schema will do the "trick".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom