all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What's your love/hate movement in your program?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benjamin

Level 1 Valued Member
What's the part of your program that you have a love/hate relationship with?

For S&S, it's the curl portion of the goblet squats. I'm using the 24kg for those, and I do one single for most, and work in the occasional double. The thought of curling the 32KG from that position almost gives me nightmares.

For TTC, it's the renegade row. All is fine for the first half, but I always need a moment to refocus to do those properly on the back end.

I've been doing stiff legs deadlifts, with the bar starting and ending on the floor over the toes, like taught by Ed Coan, once or twice a week. It takes a lot to get the bar moving and longer sets really make me winded. In general, it just feels bloody awful.

Really none.

The first criterion I use in selecting drills, programs or anything about my training is whether I enjoy it. Life is short and we often don't have a choice in what we have to do. Training is one area where I have relatively free choice, so I choose things I enjoy and avoid things I don't.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." (Howard Thurman)

That doesn't mean I avoid things that require hard work or things I find difficult -- working through challenges is often part of the fun.

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing" (Theodore Roosevelt)

Last edited:
For A+A snatches it’s... snatches. When they’re fluid and perfect they’re amazing. Other days they make my hands hamburger meat.

For NW it’s pistols. Single leg work is super important and it keeps my hip happy. Big carryover for me too. They’re just hard!

Well, I thought it was just kb excercises. If not, I recently started doing ocr-running and just love it so far! Got my first race booked, 15km with 40 obstecles.

I love-hate 5 x10 with short rest for my second lift. I know it will add muscle but it’s hard work and most times gives me muscle soreness.

Doing a strict-press during any one of the complexes in Geoff Neupert's More Kettlebell Muscle when the strict press isn't the first movement. As you progress through the sets, your shoulders will get wobbly and require mental fortitude to power through.

The first heavy TGU. After the first one, the body seems to remember how to tension up, and the rest feel more natural. But the first one always seems to have a mix of shock (dang, this doesn't seem to be getting lighter) and fear (is this the time I drop it?)

I dont really like sitting and waiting 5 minutes between the sets. Though it is necessary.
same!

For me, in the Fighter Pull-Up Program, I hate not pushing the last couple of sets to the limit. the first set or two are pretty close to the limit but the rest often feels like "really? that's all? come on lazy boy, bring it!" and I'm always like "...not today my friend, not today" ROFL

Last edited:
Using one bell vs. two. Especially doing ROP or a Complex. When using 2 bells, do your set of 5, put the bells down. Using one bell, the time under tension is longer.

Doing the get down on a heavy TGU is stressful

Squats before presses in a complex or chain. Holding the bells in a rack fry the rear deltoids, so prefatigue sets in before pressing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom