all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What's your most difficult phase in the TGU?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That's pretty interesting. Roll to Elbow and Lunge to Standing seem to be the more challenging parts.

The inital roll to elbow used to be more difficult for me, but a couple of months back I injured my left thumb and used the time it took to heal it and focused on the roll to elbow. I just did them unweighted 1x3 or 2x3, a couple of times per day. This really helped.

Maybe I should do the same with the lunge position: Really groove and explore the difficult move, maybe with a really light weight.

Now that I think of it, it's already part of S+S -- in one of that more overlooked parts:
S+S said:
As an option, you may follow these [warmup moves] with a couple of sets of get-ups with exaggerated slowness and precision with a shoe or a light kettlebell. Groove the movement. Instead of doing full get-ups, you may select a particular phase, say supine to elbow, and polish it. Take the movement apart and put it back together. This is not a warm-up, but a practice.

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister . Unknown. Kindle-Version.

With heavy bells the last phase, from elbow to floor, can be a bit difficult in the sense that it's not as smooth and usually my lifting arm will want to bring the bell down quickly. But the hardest for me is also the roll to elbow (especially without kicking the flat leg up).

Actually the most uncomfortable part for me is the inital lifting of the bell into the starting position. I dont like the pressure on the forearm.

Another vote for rolling to the elbow, particularly going to the right side.

I've theorized lately that this might actually be a function of shoulder strength. My right shoulder seems to be more tolerant of tipping the bell just a little forward, which allows me to use some of the weight to my advantage when rolling up to the left. Left shoulder seems to need to keep more straight, and a lot of times when going to my right the right leg lifts up a little to counter.

Other difficulty for me is wrist fatigue. When the weight gets heavy, the ~45s of TUT really wears down my wrist/forearm.

The initial step back from the standing position is my challenge. The lunge itself is comfortable, but I have to consciously think about stepping back and touching down with no outward angle to my foot so I can maintain optimal stability with a big bell overhead.

Planting the knee when I sweep the leg back. Placement isn't really an issue, but I cannot extend my wrist more than 45° or so, I never have that solid up and down column of support.

I’ve only been working at the tgu for a month. I find it very difficult to keep my elbow locked. I must be out of position, but not sure how to fix this. Would appreciate any suggestions!

The lunge to standing position is always a bit difficult for me.

But even more difficult is beginning and ending with my feet in the same location (or pretty close to the same location) when I do successive reps.

I have to cue myself visually or with my last rep, I’ll be several inches from the point at which I started the first rep.

The lunge to standing position is always a bit difficult for me.

Try focusing specifically on bracing the abs/core as you start the stand-up from lunge. I got that from the StrongFirst podcast with Derek Toshner, and I agree, it works!

I’ve only been working at the tgu for a month. I find it very difficult to keep my elbow locked. I must be out of position, but not sure how to fix this. Would appreciate any suggestions!
I've had a bit of an issue with this too, esp as get heavier and more on one side than the other. My "self cue" that seems to work for me is, while keeping the shoulder well packed, constantly be trying to touch the ceiling with my knuckles.

I would say practice get-ups with a shoe as shown in S&S, and move as slowly as you need to in order to focus on the locked elbow and keep it locked.

I had it also and I guess everyone did. Interestingly, if you not rush it, once you progress to heavier bells you might find it the least challenging thing. Although I still need to focus on it with my ‘strong’ side, the elbow rarely bends now and I find the triceps to be the muscle I feel the least active or tired during and post training.

Honestly roll to elbow is easiest for me. What's crazy is my low sweep. One side just gets in a funky position where I can't sink my hips back. The other side is like thoughtless.

If there is any help I can provide on roll to elbow it's pulling with the lat. It will get you there. Promise.

Another vote for rolling to the elbow, particularly going to the right side.

I've theorized lately that this might actually be a function of shoulder strength. My right shoulder seems to be more tolerant of tipping the bell just a little forward, which allows me to use some of the weight to my advantage when rolling up to the left. Left shoulder seems to need to keep more straight, and a lot of times when going to my right the right leg lifts up a little to counter.

Other difficulty for me is wrist fatigue. When the weight gets heavy, the ~45s of TUT really wears down my wrist/forearm.
When I roll to the elbow, other than pulling with the lat on my down arm, I am punching toward the sky. KKeeps my knuckles and forearm straight up.

I had it also and I guess everyone did. Interestingly, if you not rush it, once you progress to heavier bells you might find it the least challenging thing. Although I still need to focus on it with my ‘strong’ side, the elbow rarely bends now and I find the triceps to be the muscle I feel the least active or tired during and post training.
I feel the burn in my triceps when I do two on the same side. A single I don't. Could be that little muscle is working lockout more than you think. Lol

Try focusing specifically on bracing the abs/core as you start the stand-up from lunge. I got that from the StrongFirst podcast with Derek Toshner, and I agree, it works!

Thanks for bringing Derek’s suggestion to our attention, Anna! Lunge-to-standing is my bugaboo, but this works for me: I comfortably moved up a bell size in just one session using this tip. Thanks to you and Derek!

Thanks for bringing Derek’s suggestion to our attention, Anna! Lunge-to-standing is my bugaboo, but this works for me: I comfortably moved up a bell size in just one session using this tip. Thanks to you and Derek!

Awesome! Yeah have a listen to that StrongFirst podcast wtih him if you get a chance. It's truly one of my favorites.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom