all posts post new thread

Kettlebell When do swing and TGU weights even out?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Morgan76

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi fellows,

I am currently doing 20kg swings (2 hands) and 16kg TGUs.

As per the goals (simple/sinister), when should one expect these weights to even out? For example, the 'simple' goal (men) is 32kg for both swings and TGUs. Would the TGU 'catch up' with the swings as one nears this goal? Or is it highly individual?

(NB I am fortunate to go to a gym 2 or 3 times a week that has a range of KBs so when doing my TGUs can easily sub a 20kg KB for one rep, for example. Guess this would help with the catch up?)

Thank you,

Morgan

I don't see them necessarily ever evening out between each other. Ultimately it is down to individual characteristics, but in general the hip hinge movement is a strong one among different builds while heavier characters find the upper body strength easier to come by than lighter ones.

I agree, no need to think about evening out. It is highly individual, and I think it has more to do with technique than anything else. Just try to get the most out of whatever weight you are using. Practice tension... practice good movement and technique... practice hardstyle. You will get stronger at both.

Thank you both!

So if I was able to go up to 20kg on the TGU while still finding one-handed swings at 20 a bit of a challenge, this is nothing to worry about?!

FYI I am careful to review my form regularly and am not trying to rush anything

Thank you both!

So if I was able to go up to 20kg on the TGU while still finding one-handed swings at 20 a bit of a challenge, this is nothing to worry about?!

FYI I am careful to review my form regularly and am not trying to rush anything

It is absolutely nothing to worry about. Sounds like you're on the right track.

@Morgan76 : Welcome to the forum :)
I agree with what has been said above: no need to worry about the weight differences. Just keep swinging and TGU-ing away :)

I worked up from the shoe get-ups to 15lb, to 25lb, and now 35lb, which I've been doing for a good amount if time. I grabbed the 24k to do a roll to elbow recently, and holy s***... I don't know how I'm ever going to do get ups with that thing....

I have found that my swing weight is higher than what i can TGU and has always been ahead. Your grip will get strong fast, faster than your wrist. (my wrist sustained pain and injury once the weight got 40kg and up for TGU so i have to go down in weight and fix my wrist/grip to have more gooseneck. For me now the bell sits essentially all on the radius which is the stronger bone that is meant to bear weight in our upper extremities. My ulna was sharing the weight and i began to have ulnar carpal joint pain to the point i could not turn or use my hand after just one heavy set with the 40kg eventhough i had been practicing with the 40!for months with very mild pain i thought was normal given the weight!).

I am currently doing 2-hand swings with a 44 kg and getups with a 4, 6, or 8 kg. There is no reason at all they must be the same - they're two different lifts.

-S-

It's taken me months for my swing weight to catch up to my get-up weight. The hard part for me was nailing the grip technique to swing a heavier bell (32kg, for me; about 50% of my bodyweight). Somehow, once I'd figured out how to position myself properly at the start, 32kg get-ups became surprisingly easy.

I used dumbells in the beginning and between bell stages. Given the low volume of TGU practice, it is harder to jump up in bell sizes than swings or even presses. The jumps in KB size may be too great for TGUs if you have a limited set of bells. 16 to 24 is a big jump for TGUs or even presses. Partials are a good strategy though to dial in form though, even if you can handle the weight. Regardless, it is a slow process as mentioned.

I worked up from the shoe get-ups to 15lb, to 25lb, and now 35lb, which I've been doing for a good amount if time. I grabbed the 24k to do a roll to elbow recently, and holy s***... I don't know how I'm ever going to do get ups with that thing....

I used dumbells in the beginning and between bell stages.
Definitely a good tip. I was using 18-22kg dumbbells for get-ups while I was still learning the movement. My 16kg kettlebell was too light for me to really 'feel' the movement properly and I was just 'muscling' my way through it with no real technique but the 24kg would just crush me like a bug whenever I used it for get-ups.
Bridging the gap (which, between 16 and 24kg, represents a 50% weight increase!) at that stage was critical in my figuring out the feel of the movement. Once I'd moved up to the 24kg, my alignment was considerably better but it wasn't until I started working on the 32kg bell that I really got my form locked-down. The heavier you go, the better your technique needs to be: You can't really 'cheat' a heavy get-up.

This is an old post, but here goes...

To me, progression with TGU has been much quicker than the swing. It's two completely different exercises, and even when I took a break from S&S for maybe 1-2 months, I had lost very little in the TGU, but a lot in swing (endurance).

Again to me, I feel that the TGU benefits more from rest days than the swings, and I don't have to do them more than once or twice a week to improve. But that may change as I progress to the 32 kg, who knows.

I used dumbells in the beginning and between bell stages. Given the low volume of TGU practice, it is harder to jump up in bell sizes than swings or even presses. The jumps in KB size may be too great for TGUs if you have a limited set of bells. 16 to 24 is a big jump for TGUs or even presses. Partials are a good strategy though to dial in form though, even if you can handle the weight. Regardless, it is a slow process as mentioned.

This is an old post, but here goes...

To me, progression with TGU has been much quicker than the swing. It's two completely different exercises, and even when I took a break from S&S for maybe 1-2 months, I had lost very little in the TGU, but a lot in swing (endurance).

I also belong to the group that progresses faster with TGU, even though I’m not a heavy guy. But maybe that is because I always enjoyed the get-up more.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom