all posts post new thread

Kettlebell When/how do you decide if you are going to train? (S&S)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
With near daily training, how and when do you decide if you are going to train?

In the morning, before the usual practice time, or after the warmup?

And based on what?

In the morning, before the usual practice time, or after the warmup?

And based on what?
Good question.

The strategy that worked best for me is not to decide: just train everyday. Adjust volume, weight or rest to recover from day to day. Every 4th day or so, or if feeling very tired or sore, have a light day.

My schedule would not let me train every day for various reasons, so the aim was to train whenever I could, knowing I usually wouldn't make 7 days a week. I didn't have to decide to take days off, life decided those for me.

I try not to let how I feel dictate when I workout. The body and mind will always seek homeostasis and will always make it easy to bail out.
Pavel has made it clear that S&S will work better if you can do it 6 days a week. He allows concessions for when it's supplemental to other programs or when life gets in the way, but as a stand-alone, do it near daily. On S&S 2.0, he's softened his stance on the frequency when the weight gets high enough to turn progression from GPP to a specialized program (paraphrasing Al Ciampa a little).
What's worked best for me is when I plan & Schedule my workouts for the next few weeks, but only make a hard commitment for 1 week. Do your best to get through the first week, then make adjustments, if needed, for the next week. Then recommit yourself for the next week. Keep a challenging, but reasonable progression. Sucks at first, but you will build confidence, momentum, and strength when you make it a habit. As Pavel says, just like brushing your teeth.
Good Luck!

I have a rule for myself - if the choice is between training and taking a nap, I take the nap. Otherwise, I train. The point for me is that I don't train when I'm feeling so tired that, if I don't train, I'd go to sleep - for me, that's an indicator that I'm tired and need rest. The older I get, the more I pay attention to this rule.

And I'm not saying it works for everyone - might need other metrics for some folks who aren't nap-adapted. :)

-S-

I have a rule for myself - if the choice is between training and taking a nap, I take the nap. Otherwise, I train. The point for me is that I don't train when I'm feeling so tired that, if I don't train, I'd go to sleep - for me, that's an indicator that I'm tired and need rest. The older I get, the more I pay attention to this rule.

And I'm not saying it works for everyone - might need other metrics for some folks who aren't nap-adapted. :)

-S-
Ha, that's a really cool rule! I have come to adopt this too, actually.

-S-

Great over 50 advice!

For the ones with babyborns around...

If he sleeps and you are not, train.
If he ain't sleeping, don't.
If he ain't sleeping and ain't screaming either, train.

Then I add indoor running or outdoor depending on wether my wife is in the house or not!

This is my daily basis.

I tend to follow my Whoop-metrics. If the recovery is very low, and I feel really tired, I skip the practice, doing OS only. If recovery is low, but I feel ok, I tend to practice two-arm swings. Otherwise, I just go for it :)

I always practice in the morning, before breakfast.

And it really depends on how well i wake up. If i am still very sleepy after my cup of coffee then i wont practice.

On avarage my frequency is 4x per week. Rule of thumbs is on saturday and sunday i always practice.

I think 4 should be MY minimum and 6 days per week maximum.

I don't decide when to train, Pavel did (S&S 2.0), in the 'Collect $200 and advance' He lays out 2 options to continue the training after timeless Simple (towards Sinister). Not nearly daily but 3/4 days a week.

Just man up, use the talk test and do two-arm/shadow swings when feeling completely wornout

I tend to follow my Whoop-metrics. If the recovery is very low, and I feel really tired, I skip the practice, doing OS only. If recovery is low, but I feel ok, I tend to practice two-arm swings. Otherwise, I just go for it :)
Do you feel that it is a reliable tool?

I used to train daily and just "man up". But after months and months of disrupted sleep (due to children) this stopped working. Therefore I have adopted something along the lines of the "nap or training" approach that @Steve Freides wrote about.

Do you feel that it is a reliable tool?

I've had my whoop (2 & 3) for quite a while, but it's better for endurance sports then strength/power. It works great with HRV but that recalculates with the last 30 days of data, so can go up or down. I used it around my wrist, the bicepband didn't work with cleans and stuff, but then my heartrate would be off while doing (one-arm)swings on the 'whoop-arm'. With the talktest type training, the heartrate would do a short spike and then drop low again, so the daystrain was always low.

Short version, great for endurance sports and reliable, I did just train when I had to train.

I like to train 3 days a week, MWF doing s&s with 24kg im ready to up the Tgu to 32kg but really struggle with swings so keep them 2 hand.

Any more than 3 days i just feel shattered and tired all the time.

I find i have to have set days to make myself get it done, if i left it to feel is be skipping workouts all the time!

I like to add pull ups after too.

I usually stick to the schedule. As Anna C said, S&S is about being fresh and explosive but the adaptation happens also when you are not 100%. It’s more about controlling fatigue in the long run I would say. Especially on the way from 24kg to 32kg and training 5-7days a week. Once pat this it’s a more fixed schedule.

I evaluate how I feel in the afternoon the day before, as I train early morning. But I might back of with weight if the first series don’t feel right.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom