all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed When is fudging form okay?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
No one has suggested that. Train for performance and train for resilience, just maybe not in the same lift and at the same time.

-S-
Not being accusatory Steve, and not saying anyone did “say that”, just adding to the discussion. Train a purist movement in the same setting, that movement doesn’t export. Functional or not, fitness is only actually “functional” if you use it outwith the normal training environment. Otherwise it’s just a trendy word for the same thing. Therefore, use fitness in an environment that means you must change your form. If that means train for that situation or work round limitations of body or environment, so be it.

. . .Train a purist movement in the same setting, that movement doesn’t export. Functional or not, fitness is only actually “functional” if you use it outwith the normal training environment. Otherwise it’s just a trendy word for the same thing. Therefore, use fitness in an environment that means you must change your form. If that means train for that situation or work round limitations of body or environment, so be it.
Principle of specificity, right there. Although conceptually, it may become hard to find exercises that "translate" to outside of training, depending on the case. Which is why you see people say, "train what you want to get better at, or as close to it as you possibly can."

Edit: i'm dubious to the efficacy of kettlebell long cycle clean and jerks for BJJ for instance. If people see translation, then great, but I don't conceptually see the connection.

@MikeL, in my opinion, you are still oversimplifying a complex subject. There is absolutely carryover from a movement patterned that's been loaded heavy to other movement patterns, e.g., I don't trap bar deadlift but I can, with zero training, perform at least 90% of my conventional DL on a trap bar. And the carryover is quite varied and wide-ranging. Deadlifting makes walking up hills easier - the list is endless. I do disagree with the premise you're trying to advance here. Someone who gets stronger in a compound lift or three is going to be more strong and more resilient at most physical tasks that come their way without training those other tasks. I carried my neighbors furniture out of their basement and to the curb even though I hadn't trained by moving furniture.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom