all posts post new thread

Old Forum when move up in bell size

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dobie

Level 5 Valued Member
When should i jump from 72 pounder to the 88 pounder?  I am doing 1 handed swings with the 70.  Can do 100 in 5 minutes.  I do 10x10 for workout.

Thanks

Hmm.  Things could get confusing around here Mr. Brian D.  I suppose it is OK that your is capitalized since you are a little further along the road than me.  I can only do my 1 handed swings with the 70 in a little over 6 minutes, and that involves some struggling.

I would say move up in a bell size when you can hit the standards you just mentioned any day of the week.  So basically you are very comfortable with that, and there is no struggle.  Of course, the beauty of starting with the next bell up is you can always drop back if it feels like too much.  You could probably even split your swings, 50 two handed swings with the 88 and 50 one handed swings with the 70.  Or something like that.

Have you hit the standards on the get up, too?  I'm just curious.  It seems pretty cool to nail the 'simple' requirements.

Funny,

Lowercase brian-I didn't realize, otherwise I would have used other name.  I have not been doing TGU because 2 days a week I am doing other weight training-military press-deadlift, some pull-ups-just a few sets of 3-5 on each one.  Deadlifts once every 7-10 days

the 1 handed swings I have been doing for 3 weeks now and have noticed an odd soreness in my lower abs.  I know my core is getting worked hard.  Anyway, I really like the 1 hand swings and will be ordering the 88.

Very cool.  For most of the fall I was doing a very similar workout as you (deadlifts, zercher squats, military press, and weighed chins).  Now I'm doing the straight S and S stuff, but I look forward to bringing the bar back in sometime soon.

I look forward to hearing how the 88 goes.

And no worries on the name thing.  I'm not a super big poster, so whenever you signed up the chances are very high that I was not showing up in the recent threads.

I'm in a similar boat. Reached the simple goals and feel in control of the 32kg. Need to order a 40kg now as S+S suits me.

Congratulations to Brian, brian, bryan, and Bryan.  I tried the hundred in 5 with the 32 once - I took 6+10, so I'm impressed with dudes who can hit it in 5.  I've been bouncing between 24kg for my backoff days and doing either the swing heavy - usually with a 28, but I've tried the 32, or the Get Ups heavy - 32 for 5 is pretty tiring.  So Capital Brian D since you're just using "100 in 5" as a swing protocol to augment barbell work, you can probably head north on the bell size whenever it feels good.  As long as your recovery stays good by whatever measures you use to gauge such things I say go for it.  What's the worst that can happen?  You have an extra bell sitting around?  That's still a win.

Oh, and I'm feeling the same thing in my lower abs.  I'm talkin' really lower/gotta buy me dinner before you can see them lower abs.  I thought it was from TGUs, but you're getting the same feeling with swings so I guess it's that.

Bill Been or bill been or Mr. Bean

Bill,

Yea, the Ab thing from the 1 hand swings sneaks up on you.  It's not the soreness one gets by doing 150 hanging leg raises and your then sore from it for a week.  It's hard to describe-but I know my core is getting thrashed.  Other soreness is in my bicep tendons-I need to stretch more I think.  Yesterday hit a best time with the 70 for 100 1 hand swings, got 4:30.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom