all posts post new thread

Old Forum When one has difficulty hitting the required # of reps/sets.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

spawn

Level 2 Valued Member
Today, my workout called for 6 sets of 6 reps with 80% of my deadlift max. The third set was very hard, and I stopped after I felt some tension/pain in the lower sides of my rib cage. It's a fairly common issue with me, and goes away after a little while. I've noticed that it has a lot to do with how tightly I grip the bar.

My question is, what do you do when you can't hit the required # of reps/sets in your workout?

Considering that I was well-rested and recovered, it seemed odd. However, it'd help to mention that I did nothing but "singles" for a good four/five months before switching to this program, and my body is probably not used to "repping out". What do you think?

Thanks.

In deadlift dynamite there was a section about this: What happends when you fail a cycle. While my deadlift dynamite are at a friends I seem to recall you restart the cycle from like 2 weeks back from where you are now and build up again. Perhaps someone better than me will comment on this.

I normally just chalk it up to a bad day, take the next workout easy and then try again. If I can't hit the workout a second time I do a deload and work my way back up. If something is hurting you might want to get your form looked at a little closer.

I am also personally not a huge fan of deadlifts for high reps with a relatively heavy weight. Works for some people, but it just beats my lower back up. If I want volume I'll use swings.

I lower the weight so that I can get the 6 sets of 6, or whatever I was shooting for that day.  I consider the recommended percentage (like the 80% you mentioned) to be a suggestion.  Not set in stone.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom