all posts post new thread

Old Forum When strength IS your sport...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DunteH

Level 5 Valued Member
What are the go-to programs?

For example, I know WSBB is one of the gold-standard providers of training programs for power lifters.

But in weight lifting, in bar calisthenics, in GS?

If you've got experience in any of these arenas, maybe share your top 3 training guides? I'd love to learn more about pure strength development -- particularly when you have little else to focus on in your sport than being stronger.

I like this thread because I'm in this boat--i still play lots of sports, but my passion is lifting heavy stuff. Since I'm willing to let snowboarding, soccer, climbing, etc... take a backseat (serve as active rest for powerlifting), I prefer westside. This is not to say that i believe wsbb method to be superior to sheiko, bear, smolov, etc (all of which would seem great for the strength is my sport athlete), but that westside fits well with my personality. I love the same but different variety within the framework of the program and I find max effort day to be FUN. There's also some reasoning that chasing frequent prs involves the same dopamine reward pathway that drives those who have had trouble with stimulant drug addiction (myself being one of these people)

For GS I would look at Coach Rudnev's programs, he seems to be the most dialed in of all the GS coaches these days . For Olympic Weightlifting, well, good luck with that ,lol. Coach Jim Schmitz of the ( now defunct Sports Palace) is perhaps the most qualified and experienced American Coach.

The key for OL is to HAVE a coach. This is a sport that requires a lot of hands on coaching with someone with a stellar eye. VERY hard to do on one's own.And although WSB is a great methodology many many lifters have had great success with the Ed Coan school of powerlifting.
Much easier to follow and for those under Elite Ranking perhaps the smartest way to go. Bar calisthenics? Perhaps a trip to a new york playground :))

5/3/1 is fantastic, I love the simplicity of it. When I run out my current program, I'll probably get back under the barbell with it.

Thanks, Mark, for the suggestion about Coach Rudnev in GS. For kettlebell sport, I actually have a coach and feel like it benefits from a keen eye as does OL. I'll dig around for Schmitz's material though -- don't plan to be an O lifter but always want to refine what of their techniques I use.

These replies are appreciated!

I suggest looking up Marty Gallagher and attending one of his weekend seminars.  He has a simple program that he explains in great detail over the weekend.  And as Marty rightly points out, many records have been set using his methods that are still standing, and those methods were handed down to him by some of the greats of earlier generations.

Marty's book, "The Purposeful Primitive," is also a good resource to have but seeing him in person is great because you get a lot of hands-on coaching for form as well as get to talk about schedule.  Marty worked a great deal with Ed Coan, who Rif mentions.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom