all posts post new thread

Old Forum When to change direction/priorities?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Scientist

Level 3 Valued Member
I love the idea of focussing on being Strong First. The thing is, I am getting to be about what Pavel has called "entry level strong" with a 425 deadlift and 170 press. My question to people who have been in this longer than me is, when do you stop worrying about strength and start caring about other qualities? I think I could work up to 500 on the deadlift, but I am not an athlete and don't really need that much strength. I am still young, but it seems that there has to be a tipping point where pushing to far on the strength end of things will hurt longevity as opposed to increasing it. Is the idea now to maintain the strength I have and start throwing some conditioning in? I hate the ida of not progressing, but I'm not sure if more strength is really what I need.

That's your own choice. Strength is a quality that leads to most other qualities, which is why we encourage its development first. But what you want to do with your life and training is still, ultimately, up to you.

The Scientist, what is your bodyweight?

In the DL it is a short step between 300 and 400; it is a long road between 400 and 500.  

Pavel,

Thank you for the response. Bodyweight is 93kg at 183cm. I am not exceptionally lean, but lean enough I think. I think that I would be happy maintaining what I have, and the feeling I get around here is that I could probably maintain my deadlift by doing more swings/snatches with kettlebells and only deadlift occasionally. I just don't want to lose what I have gained so far.

I was reading the most recent post on the site, and had another question that I will just tack on here instead of making a new post. You have said more than once that strength and conditioning should be separated into their own days because of competing adaptations. I know that there is strong evidence showing that trying to train both qualities at once in the same training cycle (meaning over the course of several weeks or months) will result in less success with each goal as opposed to doing strength only every workout or conditioning only,  but is there really evidence that says that two strength days and two conditioning days is better than 4 days of a split workout with some of each?

Scientist, consider DLing once a week following a classic PL cycle (1-3 sets) aiming at a very small gain (5-10 pounds) in the end of each cycle. Do swings three times a week (not the day before DL). That should take care of DL maintenance (and then some) plus fat loss.

Scientist,

"I know that there is strong evidence showing that trying to train both qualities at once in the same training cycle (meaning over the course of several weeks or months) will result in less success with each goal as opposed to doing strength only every workout or conditioning only,  but is there really evidence that says that two strength days and two conditioning days is better than 4 days of a split workout with some of each?"

The recommendation no to train both strength and endurance in the same cycle applies to experienced competitive athletes.  Hardly relevant for general fitness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom