all posts post new thread

Old Forum when to do S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I am enjoying only hitting the barbell hard when I get home on the weekends. My dilemma is during the week. I work a very tough and labour intensive job and never know if it will be an early day at eight hours, usual day at ten or a long day at who knows. I use to like doing s&s in the morning as it just kind of gets you going and loosens you up. But I'm finding it hard to just get up and get going in the morning and need that little extra sleep. I read in Pavels last article about the Russian lifters who would lift after working in the mines. Should I start to lift after work so I can base it off my workday and get that extra little sleep in the morning?

I do not have a job like yours Hunter, but I always do my workouts (currently S and S) after my long work days or long days out working with horses.  Sometimes it is very hard to get going, but I'm always happy afterwards.

So I think you should try it.  Just keep in mind the idea that the program should be a recharge.  And some days you might need to go a little lighter.  But I think you could find a nice rhythm in this approach.

Try it for period of time, like minimum 2-3 months, and see how your body reacts. I know one thing and it is that extra sleep is never a bad thing when you work out on a regular basis.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll set the alarm clock for a little later and when I get up I'll just have a coffee and do some joint mobility and stuff before heading out the motel door. When I get back after work I'll gauge my work out on my work day and how I feel.

Hunter, you know your body better than us, but it sounds to me like a situation where it might be wise to back off because your work is so demanding.

Hunter,

I had to adapt to a similar situation last summer.  I was working a logistics gig at a medic station, loading equipment and supplies all day, with a two hour bike ride to and from work on each end of the day and a suuuuuper pregnant wife who needed me to handle all the shopping and cooking at the end of the day.  I was pretty beat by Friday, with the early beginnings of swollen glands nearly every week.  The advice I got from Pavel was, yes, to do it at the end of the day (what I was doing anyway) and adjust the volume, not the weight.  If it was a brutal day or I was just feeling burnt out, I did 40% of the protocol.  A medium day I'd do 60% and if I was feeling like tearing the horns of a bull I went with the full protocol.  Worked out pretty well.  You start to get a pretty good feel for it...40% is when you pick up the bell and your body says to you "you've got to be $*$#ing kidding me."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom