all posts post new thread

Old Forum When To Increase TGU Volume

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jpk

Level 1 Valued Member
I have read the book and gone through a second time but for some reason I can't find the answer to this.

I know you are supposed to increase your Swing volume to 10 sets before increasing your TGU but at what point do you know it is time to increase the volume on your TGU?  Also, do you do 20% i.e. 2 sets such as mentioned with the Swing?

What if your TGU is stronger than your swing?  Do you still have to wait?
Lastly, just to confirm, you are not to increase weight until your volumes are at 10 sets of both swings and TGU?

I believe I read in the book you can increase the weight to your get ups even if your swinging is not yet equal to them. I believe you have to "own" the get up though before you increase weight. Basically, can you do 10 get ups ( 5 for your right hand and 5 for your left  - in reps of  1 to 1 per side ) in 10 minutes. Does the bell feel lighter that you would want more weight ?

Well, from my reading you first increase your volume to 10 sets of swings / 100 total swings.  It shows this while still doing 5 reps of get ups per side.

Maybe where I am confused is thinking that like swings you will increase your volume of get ups to 10 sets (1 rep per side) so total 20.  After re-reading it looks like you keep the volume at 10 TOTAL reps for get ups and only increase the volume of swings from 50 to eventually 100.  Is this correct???

If so, still the question is while I am in the process of increasing my swing volume to 100 total swings and am competent at 10 total get ups @16kg in under 10min should I go ahead and increase to 20kg?  Or if the above is not correct do I add another set to the getups.

Thanks!

You keep get ups at 5 per side (10 total) and swings at 5 sets of 10 per side (100 total). Once you get comfortable at 10 minutes for the get ups and 5 minutes for the swings you start to increase the weight, one set at a time. Once you get to doing all of the sets at the increased weight you begin to decrease the rest. Rinse and repeat.

Ok, got it on the get up now confused on the swings.

The books states 10 sets while slowly adding in 1 arm swings during this time frame.  So I assume you could say the end goal is 100 swings total however you slice it but till you get there isn't it 10 sets of two arm?

Also, it clearly states in the book to increase the volume of swings prior to increasing the weight.  So the volume would be more sets.  Then slowly working in more 1 arm swings.

Also, once you are comfortable with the 1 arm swings please point me to where it states you are do do them in 5 sets of 10 reps each arm.  As I recall and looking back it is 100 total swings however you get there but doesn't break down reps per arm and sets.

Work up to 10 sets of 10 two arm, then start adding in one-arm when comfortable with form. Make sure when you do one-arm you're doing equal numbers per side. Once you get to 10 one-arm swings you only use one-arm swings, except for easy, overspeed eccentric days.

As for the 5 sets of 10 each arm, take a look at the summary on the last page, bullet point #3

All of this info is in the book.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom