all posts post new thread

Kettlebell When to make the jump

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lou

First Post
Hello,

I am new to these forums. I have been reading Pavel's books for a few years now, and kettlebells are my main form of strength and endurance training.

I have been using a 24 kg kettlebell for about 2 years now. I am comfortable doing the exercises gone over in Enter the Kettlebell. I would say my weakest point is the clean and press, which I can get about 5-6 RM on my weak side.

I wanted to know when I should consider moving to a larger kettlebell for certain exercises. Any input as to how you justify when to move up would be great.

Thank you!

Isn't the progression described in Pavel's books?

If 24kg is your 5RM on weak side, then you should be able to go higher in TGU, push press or jerk. But first, I'd focus on finishing ROP with this one, or on being able to finish Kettlebell Red Zone workout with 24kg in under ~45 minutes. I personally love Red Zone.

Edit: you can find info on Red Zone here: Kettlebell - The Red Zone (Pavel, T. Program)

Good idea. I Also have a 16, 24 and 36.
Very long jump to 36 in S&S.
Once timed S&S in Reached, i could to move to ROP/or red zone before buying a 28 or 32kg kb.

Good idea. I Also have a 16, 24 and 36.
Very long jump to 36 in S&S.
Once timed S&S in Reached, i could to move to ROP/or red zone before buying a 28 or 32kg kb.
It's only a 50% increase..
I went from 24 to 36 for .. everything. Definitely a big shock as described, doable, but rough at first when you want to do a lot of reps. Smaller jumps is likely more recommended overall, and might save some time.

I went from 24 to 36 for .. everything. Definitely a big shock as described, doable, but rough at first when you want to do a lot of reps. Smaller jumps is likely more recommended overall, and might save some time.
I kinda feel like if you were doing the RoP and hit the 5x(1,2,3,4,5) ladders with the 24 and the 36 was still a struggle all you would have to do is work up to 5x(1,2,3,4,5,6) and it would do it.
For me the jump from 24 to 32 was only about 4 or 5 weeks, so I only worked up to 1x(1,2,3,4) + 4x(1,2,3). So I'd think the extra volume would make the extra 4kg very doable.

Harry, very inspiring. Did you also take the 12kg jump for S&S?

I kinda feel like if you were doing the RoP and hit the 5x(1,2,3,4,5) ladders with the 24 and the 36 was still a struggle all you would have to do is work up to 5x(1,2,3,4,5,6) and it would do it.
For me the jump from 24 to 32 was only about 4 or 5 weeks, so I only worked up to 1x(1,2,3,4) + 4x(1,2,3). So I'd think the extra volume would make the extra 4kg very doable.
Silveraw thanks for the advice. I listoned so much against the 12kg jump I bécame afraid. Must confess I haven’t even tried swinging the 36kg one handed.

Page 150 lays out the program and when to advance. Don't forget the test day every 4-8 weeks!
I am so immersed to steady and systematic progression that I almost do not like days when I am making an all-out effort. Luckily my 6 weeks old baby makes such testing pointless :D

Thank you all for your advice. I am looking to get a new KB for Christmas, so I will do the tests listed here and see how it goes. Thanks again!

I've heard that when you can do 10 reps without great strain its time for a bigger kettlebell. I have a 70 lbs. Kettlebell but I can't do too much with it. I can 2-hand swing it and maybe get one TGU per side when I'm feeling it. Also I can get a couple presses per side. I think its fine to have some big ones and just get a one good rep in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom