all posts post new thread

Old Forum When to move up a bell size

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

melkon

Level 1 Valued Member
On my press when would you move up a bell size? 3 sets of 7 reps or maybe total reps per workout?Goals are strength

If you are following RoP it should be when you can press the larger bell for a fiver...

What Rickard says is accurate. If you can do 5 sets of 5 rung ladders with the bell as in the ROP, you should be ready to move up a bell size.

I like to do cleans with the next size bell I want to press. It gets me ready psychologically to handle the weight and get the clean( which is critical for the solid press) prepared.

I found once I comfortable use a heavier bell in alternating floor press and cleans I am ready.

Recently I moved up in weight but simply adding high tension pushup variations and zero pressing,something to think about at least.

I attained a personal goal of 5 ladders at 1,2,3,4,5 with a 60lb bell. our gym doesn't have anything bigger so I looked the manual I got from the SFG Course and followed the plan in there that had 5 ladders with 3 rungs. So my hard day is 5 x 3,5,7 (which gives me the same reps as the 5 x1,2,3,4,5) but my easy day is now 1,3,4 (which is 2 reps more) and my medium day is 2,4,6 (which is also two more reps).

when I move up in reps what makes sense? and what is a smart/safe way to progress with fewer rungs?

Curious to know if I interpreted the new manual correctly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom