all posts post new thread

Old Forum when to progress in weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mnorton

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello SFGers,

I am fairly new to Kettlebell training. I have progressed in weight to 24kg in all of my kb lifts (get-ups, clean and press, snatch, etc.) I have been working out with the 24kg bell for about 3 months now trying to perfect my form. When is it recommended to advance to a 32kg bell? Also, when should I start swinging doubles? Any information is greatly appreciated :)

What program, if any, are you following?

please post videos showing your form at 24 kg.

-S-

Watch "24kg doubles. Still working on form." on YouTube

https://youtu.be/SqNN9H0FkxM

I hope the above videos are of some use. I have been following the Enter The Kettlebell structure. More accurately "The workbook" by Anthony Dilugio. If there are any othef programs you reccomend I would love to hear them. I am a Martial Artist and really interested in functional and explosive strength. Thank you for your time. Any feedback is appreciated.

The videos are set to private so noone can see them.  You need to set them to atleast unlisted.  Public is best but if we have the link, unlisted is fine.

It's hard to tell from the front but your hip hinge looks like it has a lot of squat in it and not enough hinging.  Please post a video from the side showing your clean, swing and snatch technique.  I would imagine the experts on the forum could give you some queues to clean up your hinge motion.

looks like too much squat. Best criteria for progression is S&S standards I think...

hi Matt - when you come down from the top of your press and from the top of your snatch you are allowing too much knee bend to take place too soon - thus the squat comments.   Whether you are performing the swing, snatch or clean & press the primary mover of the bell is the hip hinge, by dropping immediately into a squat you are not allowing that hinge to happen, this fundamental flaw will limit the effectiveness of the movements and your ability to increase strength.  if you read through Enter The Kettlebell or S&S you will see specific descriptions for the two handed swing - start there.  on the back swing focus on playing chicken with your crotch, keeping heels down, toes up, shins vertical, slight knee bend, butt pushing straight back (not down),  on the way back up squeeze your glutes hard, lock your abs down, pull your kneecaps up and end in a solid upright plank, then yank the bell back with your lats, playing chicken with your crotch, butt back (not down), knees slightly bent, shins vertical, toes up, heels down, eyes on the horizon - work this process until it is smooth and natural.  you should feel all of the power in the hips, and your hamstrings should feel taut.  once you have that feeling of your hips driving forward and back like a horizontal piston, then try the 2 handed swing with a 32kg or move to a one handed swing with the 24kg.  you seem to have the strength to start to move to the 32kg, but you should really improve your form before you do so.  getting the form down on the swing will immediately transfer to your snatch and c&p, but you need to improve that swing form first.  enjoy the process.

Matthew,

You may be able to figure out and correct your hinge issues yourself.  You can also shortcut to the solution by seeing a SFG or RKC certified trainer.  Back in the day before SF existed, I had two sessions with a RKC and I attended one of Geoff's seminars when he was teaching Kettlebell Burn.  For me it was money well spent.  Not only will you quickly get your hinge fixed but I would bet good money that you'll get a lot of good pointers on the TGU.  I think, or should say thought, I had pretty good body awareness due to many years of martial arts training.  I had all kinds of stuff going on with my TGU that I didn't feel when I learned it on my own.  Once the issues were pointed out and my execution was cleaned up then it clicked.

The hinge motion is so simple, yet many people do not get it on their own.  I have tried to show the swing to many family members and they all had a squat type motion. I've even had them do the drill where you stand with your back facing the wall and hinge back to touch the wall with your butt, then keep moving further and further away until they reach a decent hinge with no squat just to have them bring the squat motion back with the KB in their hands.  I say this because sometimes it's easier just to pay an expert to show you the right motion and then get right back to your training with your improved technique.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom