all posts post new thread

Bodyweight When to transition from bodyweight pull-ups to weighted pull-ups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mylan Byrd

Level 4 Valued Member
I've recently worked up to a PR of 7-8 max pull-ups with a neutral grip. At what point is it recommended to start adding in weighted pull-ups?

Any time now would be fine. Start with just a little weight, perhaps enough to allow 5 reps instead of 7-8, and gradually work towards a 1RM of added weight.

-S-

+1 to what Steve said. It might also depend somewhat on what your goals are.
Good point, of course. In general, since most strength work is done with relatively low reps, moving from a 7-8RM weight to a 5RM weight, around these parts, would be a good thing - but doing 5's with a 7-8 RM weight is also fine.

-S-

Thanks for the replies! I may wait until I hit 10RM to add weight. Not sure yet. I'll play around with some weight and let you guys know how it goes.

you could try a simple progression plan:

work up to 3 sets of 10
then add 5-10% more resistance
- ie 5 to 10 pounds resistance if you weigh 100 pounds
work up to 3 sets of 10 with this weight
then add another 5-10% of resistance
continue with this until you reach your goals or plateau

I've had really good success with the 3RM Fighter Pull-ups. Weighted of course. I find the lower reps even with added weight is way easier on my elbows than higher reps. I'll maybe cycle in some high rep phases a couple of times per year. Also, when possible I do them on rings as opposed to a bar. Again, just trying to protect the elbows...

I am 49 5' 9 190lb and went from 8 no pause bodyweight pull ups to 12 1sec pause at top and bottom of movement pull ups with Tim Almond's program. With Pavel's Ladders Reloaded I went from a bw + 28kg pr to bw + 36kg pr.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom