all posts post new thread

Old Forum Where do SF instructors coach?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guacadoggie

Level 3 Valued Member
This may seem kind of a dumb question, but what type of places do SFGs train others? I'm interested in getting a level 1 cert and going to the Plan Strong seminar, but I'm having a hard time finding what type of places train with kettlebells. It seems like, in my area at least, the only places training with kbs are Crossfit gyms. And the rest are big-box gyms with spas, spinning, and machines.

I spoke to a CF gym owner and he was saying I would need to be certified to teach everything that they do, but he would like someone to specialize in kettlebells. I'm just not really on board with their methods, so I'm kind of hesitant.

Suggestions or info from personal experience?

In a nutshell

1. Gym owners

2. Gym staff (in-house)

3. Independent contractors (lease gym space or profit share)

4. Teach in parks or garage gyms

A few handle collegiate, national or olympic level athletes

Arryn, first of all, just do it.  Our Level I cert is, hands-down, the best, most focused, most immediately applicable, most clearly explained education in anything I've ever received.  That was true at my first cert in 2003 and it's even more true today.  As Pavel says, our principles remain the same but we are constantly honing our methods.

There are a number of StrongFirst gyms in the US and around the world, gyms owned and run by StrongFirst instructors.  There are also StrongFirst instructors employed at all sorts of other facilities, including CrossFit, and there are StrongFirst instructors, including some of our leadership, who own and operate CrossFit-affiliated gyms.  While their philsophy isn't the same as ours, many people have now figured out how to make the two work together.

Most gyms, in my limited experience, want you to have at least one of the "mainstream" certifications, e.g., the personal trainer cert from NASM or the NSCA - check on that.  I took the NSCA CPT test around the time of my first kettlebell instructor certification and passed it by buying and using their self-study materials.  You can, of course, always take a course of theirs instead of or in addition to self-study.

You might also be the person to introduce kettlebells to a gym that doesn't currently have them - why not?

Best of luck to you.

-S-

Thank you both very much!

Steve, I've been tossing around teaching since I went to a SFG course last year. I've "coached" some of my friends over the last few months and I really enjoy seeing them progress. I have a good day job, with ownership in the next few years; teaching kettlebell would just be extra in the evenings. I'll look into the other qualifications as well. Thanks again for the detailed reply.

One other question: If I decide to take the level 1 cert, what way do you guys recommend to train the snatch? I'm currently doing S&S and next week will be "switching" to "From Simple to Sinister".

I was thinking maybe to do half or so of the 100 snatch reps a few times per week after S&S. I'm not really worried about the rest of the standards; I'm pretty sure I've got those under control.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom