all posts post new thread

Old Forum Where to begin with Grip Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bmb013

Level 4 Valued Member
I have been aware for some time that my grip strength could use some work but after seeing the clip with Pavel talking about the best ways to increase strength overall, I have decided to add some grip work into my practice.

I am totally new to grip work, so I am looking for advice on where to start.

I am looking for the grip exercises that will have the best carryover to my kettlebell and barbell training.  All suggestions for exercises and how to program them are welcome.

fat gripz or thick bars if your gym has one or if you can afford one.  You can train your grip whilst training with barbells or dumbbells.

legless rope climbs also work pretty well. Just like with what goldar said, you can kill two birds with one stone.

My current training consists of mostly barbell squats, double KB clean and presses, a few KB swings and various loaded carries.  I did buy a pair of fat gripz and will probably add fat gripz farmers walks into my mix of loaded carries.  I will be sticking to these lifts for the rest of the year, so I really don't have any other barbell or dumbbell lifts to use the fat gripz on.

This is something I would likewise want to learn more on as I am a Type 1 Diabetic for 34 years now and over the last three years have suffered with a condition known as "trigger finger." But to properly use kettle bells it requires a strong grip. I do have to wear gloves al the time because of the condition, but I would really like to get my grip even back to its previous strength levels without all the damage.

Thanks in advance.

Ben, In the ETK Special Report #1 bonus, Pavel made some suggestions to work your grip harder in your kettlebell practice, such as wearing an oven mitt, wrapping a small towel around the handle or putting soap on the handle of the kettlebell.

http://www.dragondoor.com/pdf/etkb_bonus_a.pdf

ctuozzolo, thank you for the link! I tried the 1 arm towel swings, great exercise, I will definitely be using these.

This is what I have come up with so far: I made myself a thick bar wrist roller will PVC pipe and rope, and I really like the 1 arm towel swings.

How much will adding some grip work affect recovery? Should I add these as finishers on my 3 training days or play with them on off days?

I have found amazing carryover from the Bulgarian Bag.  Spinning has much value but the grip hit is tremendous.  The tabs allows many more options gripwise that make this my favorite tool.

"improving grip strength" is a very general term, much like "getting stronger" or "getting in shape"

the advice listed above is very good for general grip strengthening. As you get further along, it may be helpful to target exactly what your ewakest link in the grip category and get more specific.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom