all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Where to begin?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bill DeAngelis

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst...I’m humbly seeking advice on where to start. I am…

Sex: Male

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 285lbs.

Body Composition: Unknown (Guessing: At least 60lbs overweight)

Injury History: Currently Uninjured (No major injuries ever)

Movement History: Never had a FMS. I move well and I’m pretty flexible.

Sports/Competition History: High School Football and Wrestling. In the past, as an adult I practiced different martial arts. I’ve been weight lifting on and off most of my life.

Other: I served in the U.S. Army and I am currently a law enforcement officer.

Current Priorities: Get stronger and improve body composition. I’m not sure what strength standards I should strive for, but for body composition 20% body fat is the goal.

Ultimate Goals: Resilience andLongevity.

Relevant Books I’ve Read:

Simple & Sinister Power to the People The Russian Kettlebell Challenge
Enter the Kettlebell The Naked Warrior Bullet-Proof ABS
Beyond Stretching Relax Into Stretch Super Joints
Fast & Loose Beyond Bodybuilding Easy Strength
Intervention

Yes, I’ve read a lot, but I have never really put any of it into consistent practice. I have always had a hard time putting all of Pavel’s ideas together (and I’ve been reading his work since the first article I found on him in Muscle Media 2000!).

Currently:

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been practicing on my barbell and kettlebell technique/form in the squat, deadlift, military press, bench press, 2HSW and TGU. I have not even attempted to go heavy at all yet.

Where do I want to go from here?

In my heart, I want to be Wolverine, but physically I’m more like Kung Fu Panda. For now I’ll settle for being able to be strong for my wife and kids. I have two little ones (6 and 8 years old) on the Autism Spectrum and I want to be around for them as long as I can. After that? I would like to practice martial arts again. Also, I would like to be StrongFirst Certified someday (I love this stuff!)…but, one step at a time. So ladies and gentlemen…Where do I start? What will help me achieve my current priorities and get me closer to my ultimate goals? Should I start with kettlebells or barbells?

Thanks in advance for responding.

+1 for Mr Brett Jones's suggestion.
Sir, do you spend a lot of time in the patrol car?
+1 what Snowman said, but...
"No matter how hard, no matter how long... You can't out work a bad diet!" (Kinda like Last Of The Mohicans)
You asked where to start, but what are your goals? Does your force have any physical standards you want to hit? Show the young bucks you still got it? Wolverine is not as far away as you think, but you have_to_committ.
S&S will get you strong. Miss Anna C is a GREAT example.
But none of this means squat if you don't make this a habit.
I'm a military guy, so I know what it is like to have a wonky schedule. It's easy to just take off the uniform and go home.

Where are your weights/KBs? If you have some at home that means more time with the little ones, which is a big deal for us. Heck, they might even want to join in.

Bottom line, starting is easy, it's the follow through that matters.
Good luck sir!

A fellow Kungfu Panda here and I can vouch for S&S. I tried getting back to BJJ after a few years off and gaining 70lbs. I did ok but kept racking up the hurts, the strength and stamina base wasnt there for consistent training.

I am commiting to S&S and cleaning up my diet drastically before anything else, like I should have from the start. When I see my 16,24,and 32kg bell all sitting next to each other I know only good things can come from being able to rock that 32kg bell like its nobodys business.

Thanks everyone for your input. Brett, thanks, I'm going to keep it simple do S&S as you suggested. Miguel, I do not sit a patrol car, but I'm not very active either. I'm just basically eating clean and watching calorie intake as well. My weights/kettlebells are at the local YMCA and I have 16, 24, and 32 kg kettlebells at home as well. Mark, I'm in southern Michigan, and would love to take a few classes under an SFG. Any instructors between Detroit and Toledo? Thanks again to all who responded.

A fellow Kungfu Panda here and I can vouch for S&S. I tried getting back to BJJ after a few years off and gaining 70lbs. I did ok but kept racking up the hurts, the strength and stamina base wasnt there for consistent training.

I am commiting to S&S and cleaning up my diet drastically before anything else, like I should have from the start. When I see my 16,24,and 32kg bell all sitting next to each other I know only good things can come from being able to rock that 32kg bell like its nobodys business.

Thanks for the encouragement Shawn good to known another panda is out there. Stay strong brother.

@Bill DeAngelis You can search for instructors here. http://www.strongfirst.com/instructors/?action=search

I was just looking and there was a SFG Kettlebell Course 14 May in Rochester Hills, MI. At the facility there is a certified instructor who has a military and law enforcement background. More info at the link. Fitness Classes

Brandon Rogers is Kettlebell Certified through StrongFirst (SFG - 1) and possesses the NASM-CPT. Brandon currently serves in the United States Marine Corps Reserve as a Military Police Officer.

Last edited:
Bill...
I took that course in Rochester Hills on Saturday. Brandon who assisted the session; really seems to know his stuff. As Mr. Limbaga suggests it might be worth it.

I'm in southern Michigan, and would love to take a few classes under an SFG. Any instructors between Detroit and Toledo?
You can search for instructors on our web site - have you tried that?

To add to all the good recommendations you've received so far - walk, meditate, or do some other easy, relaxing activity that's restorative for both physical and mental health.

-S-

+1 to everything! I don't really have anything to add, all great suggestions. But Welcome @Bill DeAngelis
you're weight loss and health goals are very realistic and attainable. biggest thing, "the path to your goal is about the journey not the destination". Enjoy the process, you've in for a fun road to strength!

Well I'm a KFP..
Minus the Kung Fu.
Bill.

I would just begin.
I did...S and S is simple deceptively so but very effective.

The details will fall into place if you get going.
So will the benefits.

Get going and be patient..

All kudos to you and the family.

You can search for instructors on our web site - have you tried that?

To add to all the good recommendations you've received so far - walk, meditate, or do some other easy, relaxing activity that's restorative for both physical and mental health.

-S-

Thank you sir, I looked. Closest instructor is about 35 miles away. Not too bad. But couldn't go often. Eric Bartlett is the coach there. I'll give him a call. Thanks for the advice as well.

@Bill DeAngelis You can search for instructors here. http://www.strongfirst.com/instructors/?action=search

I was just looking and there was a SFG Kettlebell Course 14 May in Rochester Hills, MI. At the facility there is a certified instructor who has a military and law enforcement background. More info at the link. Fitness Classes

Brandon Rogers is Kettlebell Certified through StrongFirst (SFG - 1) and possesses the NASM-CPT. Brandon currently serves in the United States Marine Corps Reserve as a Military Police Officer.

Thanks for the info...Brandon Rogers' facility is about 70 miles away, so going to him for instruction would be a bit too far. There is an instructor about half that far away in Plymouth...I think I'll call there first. Thanks again.

Half the distance and well qualified. Bio | CrossFit Lower Town

Eric Bartlett - Certifications and Achievements: CrossFit Level 1 Certified, USAW Olympic Lifting Certified, Strongfist Level 1 Kettle Instructor, Bachelors Degree in Health Education, and CrossFit Games 2012 3rd Fittest Man in the World (ages 45 – 49)

Eric has a degree in Health Education from The University of Massachusetts. He is also CrossFit Level 1 Certified, and USAW Olympic Lifting Certified. Eric spent four years in The Marine Corps as a scout sniper. Eric has a profound love for his wife, kids and kettle bells! Eric placed 3rd in the world for the Masters Division of 45-50yr olds at The 2012 CrossFit Games in California and qualified again in 2013! We are so proud of him!!!!

Half the distance and well qualified. Bio | CrossFit Lower Town

Eric Bartlett - Certifications and Achievements: CrossFit Level 1 Certified, USAW Olympic Lifting Certified, Strongfist Level 1 Kettle Instructor, Bachelors Degree in Health Education, and CrossFit Games 2012 3rd Fittest Man in the World (ages 45 – 49)

Eric has a degree in Health Education from The University of Massachusetts. He is also CrossFit Level 1 Certified, and USAW Olympic Lifting Certified. Eric spent four years in The Marine Corps as a scout sniper. Eric has a profound love for his wife, kids and kettle bells! Eric placed 3rd in the world for the Masters Division of 45-50yr olds at The 2012 CrossFit Games in California and qualified again in 2013! We are so proud of him!!!!

Thanks Boosh32...Sorry it took so long to respond, but we've been trying to sell our house and find a new one. CrossFit Lower Town is the place I was referring to in my last response. Good to know about Eric.

Thanks Boosh32...Sorry it took so long to respond, but we've been trying to sell our house and find a new one. CrossFit Lower Town is the place I was referring to in my last response. Good to know about Eric.

Go for a walk everyday. The more you walk the better. You will also feel much better.
And whatever kind of lifting you do increase the weights slowly. Give the body plenty of time to adapt.
Otherwise as you know bodyweight is a question of diet. Enjoy your food.

Bill,

I'm an LEO as well and I lost 50-60 lbs. a few years ago. Lots of good advise in this thread. Everyone who said diet is key for weight loss (and especially for fat loss) is absolutely right. Lots of different diets work. Paleo and Keto are the two that I had best results with for fat loss. Find what works for you and stick with it. It's easy to eat crap on the job and until you get the diet dialed in the training doesn't matter all that much.

Marlon's advice is on point. A walk everyday is a great way to increase your daily activity gradually and was the starting point for how I lost weight. Try to squeeze in a 30 min walk everyday.

On the KB front, S&S until you hit the simple goal is a great place to start. Driving an hour or so for instruction is a bummer, but it's worth it and only a temporary inconvenience. You don't need daily coaching. Once a week for a month or two and you'll be good to go on your own. Consider the one day user course too if you have the chance. It's fantastic and well worth the time, money, and drive it may require. There's one in Kalamazoo in October.

Finally if you want more LEO specific fitness and diet info, I have a blog and ebook dedicated to police fitness. Shoot me a message if you're interested and I'll provide links; don't want to hijack this thread with self-promotion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom