all posts post new thread

Nutrition Whey Powder - expiry date 12/20

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi,

I brought Whey Powder from the super market in October/2020. Due to some reason, I didn't use it. Today I have opened the bottle, and the taste looks good. However, realized that, Protein powder expiry date is labeled as 12/20.

My query is.... Is it safe to use this powder and complete in 1-2 months? Or should I throw this and buy a new one?

Appreciate experts advise.

Thanks & Regards
Maarg

I had some supplements that went out of date by several months and used them, albeit these were all natural things that can't really hurt you. The most that can go wrong with protein powder is it could get "buggy" but if its been sealed, you're fine.

I highly recommend a Google on "the truth about expiration dates" or a similar expression. We pay almost no attention to them in our house - if it seems fine, we use it. Even some of what you'll read in articles that tell you it's safe to use something past its expiration date is, IMO, overly conservative.

-S-

I work in the food industry and many times the dates are there to meet over-reaching regulations. My employer has been forced destroy a lot of food over the years for something as simple as a slight error on an ingredient label. Its sad, really.

This isn't even only about food. I am using a bottle of contact lens cleaner that says it expired in 1999. It's just fine.

There are now people trying to change this, e.g., selling only things that are past their expiration date.

-S-

The US Army did a study on medicines (since they tend to buy in bulk) to determine expiration. Many (but not all) drugs were safe and usable years after their expiration dates. Some may loose their efficacy a bit but still worked.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom