all posts post new thread

Nutrition Whey vs BCAA

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I have been using two servings of bcaa during the day due to the nature of my labour intensive work and fasting till supper after work. Now I can't really say there has been any noticeable effects positive or negative but i like the peace of mind knowing I'm covered. Since I'm away from home so much it's a bit of pain to carry too many supplements. If whey would be the better choice I'll forgo the bcaa and just use whey. The brand I use is progressive nutrition whey.

If there have been no noticeable effects one way or the other, then it doesn't matter. The little bit of food probably helps take the edge of your hunger, so try different kinds of little bits of food and see what you think. In your position, I would opt for something like a protein bar that had some carbs in it, but that's just me.

-S-

When do you take the bcaa?

Keep in mind that the whey protein has caloric value that may, or may not, mess up with your fasting.

I have experimented with taking a dose at 930am and 330pm. But i read bcaa may cause an insulin response so i experimented with 12pm and 330pm.

There are many thing to consider here. First, you completely fast till dinner with two servings of BCAA's during the day correct? Do you not have time to eat or choose not to? Considering that whey is fast absorbing, you will be fighting hunger shortly after taking the supplement. I would suggest eating a meal, which doesn't have to be big in portions, that is rich in proteins including you BCAA and EAA like a steak of some sort. And more importantly something rich in nutrients such as vitamin rich vegetables. I'm not sure of your goal or what you are aiming for.

I was reading about the benefits of bee pollen this week. I am going to try a teaspoon at both 930 and 330 breaks. Debating on one for lunch. Bee pollen seems to have a lot of benefits and being in a fasted state will help with absorption.

Hi Hunter 1313,

I investigated a little bit on the web, and found out an interesting article related to your question.

To summarize, the article says "Here’s my short answer: I don’t see any reason for taking BCAAs if you’re getting all the protein you need on a daily basis to build muscle".
If you need more details, you can read the full article here.

Moreover, if you also wonder what are the requested protein needed on a daily basis, you can check this article as well.

I hope this helps.

Have a lovely day.
Kind regards,

Matt

Thanks Matt. Makes sense and is along the lines of what Ori hofmekler advises.

I know this thread is old, but for anyone still browsing, here is a really useful summary on the research into BCAAs.

Branched Chain Amino Acids - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

Their findings are roughly:

BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more).

Personally I think the only time BCAAs are useful is if you are training fasted (eg training in the AM without eating breakfast, not as in training a few hours after you ate lunch) because (paraphrasing the research) it will prevent a serum decline that would otherwise cause a tryptophan influx into the brain, followed by serotonin production, which would cause fatigue; but they do so without meaningfully breaking the fast (a few G of fat, under 50kcal, is unlikely to cause an insulin response).

So if you're training fasted, maybe pop a few BCAAs before your workout. Otherwise, skip them.

Also, if you supplement with a high-quality whey protein, check the label; it probably has a dose of BCAA added.

I don't eat food during the day because it's a pain to pack and it bogs me down. Often times I need something quite quick. Seems like every study says bcaa if training fasted. My job is basically a day long training session. So it seems to me it would be a good fit.

Regarding BCAA and insulin response, I found this blurb somewhere. (I don't really know how credible it is, it was just an internet comment, but I found it interesting enough to share as food for thought.)

The difference comes with the type of Insulin response. BCAA's will stimulate acute Insulin response from the turning on or beginning of protein synthesis. Unlike a heavy carbohydrate or carbohydrate + protein meal, BCAA's will not cause a lasting Insulin response. When you ingest Glucose, for instance, the Insulin response is both acute and long-lasting, as there is an initial response by the Pancreas and then a continual response to the blood until the blood Glucose gets back to a normal. Now, it's a lot more complicated than this and obviously depending what is consumed can greatly change this response, but the latter, chronic Insulin release is why the typical metabolically deranged person will develop Type II Diabetes and other issues.

EDIT: and here is a link to a scholarly article that seems to echo those claims:

Effects of branched-chain amino acid supplementation on plasma concentrations of free amino acids, insulin, and energy substrates in young men. - PubMed - NCBI

I also found this "Fasted Cardio Roundtable" to be worth looking at:

Fasted Cardio Roundtable | T Nation

Last edited:
Just a little update. I've been a little slack on using the bcaa during my work say. I've noticed my stomach appears slightly less puffy/bloated. Not much else has changed diet wise. Maybe the bcaa is causing too much of an insulin spike?

@HUNTER1313 I don't know how you can work all day, not eat, and progress in training, that's crazy. I also work a very labour intensive job as a Journeyman Millwright, and Pipefitter in the manufacture of Natural Gas and Chemical Compression and Processing Equipment. I am on my feet at work 10hrs a day, and train 2hrs a day 5-6 days a week.

If I do not eat properly, and regularly it drastically affects my mood, brain function, energy levels, and training. Two servings of BCAA is not filling any need. At least Whey has BCAA in it, and all the other necessary Amino Acids. It's a complete protein, and a lot cheaper.

You have to eat, you are not doing yourself any favours in the long term.

I appreciate your concern, but training two hours a day five to six day a week probably isn't a good idea either.

It always takes me 90-120 min. to train. It's my ritual. SMR, warmup, lifting with enough volume, intensity, and rest periods, tinkering, and cool down. It's a process that takes time, and cannot be rushed. Lately one day strength heavy, light, or medium training, one day S&S style training for conditioning, and recovery, and a strongman day on Saturday or Sunday. I adjust my training by feel, I am not overly strict.

I am strong, functional, and pain free, with no injuries. That is an appropriate amount of work for me.

I eat high quality food six times a day. I do the majority of my meal prep on the weekends. I buy, and cook most of the food I need for the week, and pack my lunch the night before, so it requires minimal time. If I don't have meals prepared for work, or am running late I improvise. Nuts/seeds, fruits/berries, raw vegetables, milk/yogurt with whey, cheese, nut butters, beef jerky, protein bars, there are many options for eating well in a pinch.

Whey vs. BCAA?
Whey.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom