all posts post new thread

Barbell Which accessory work has carry over to front squats?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

liftit78

Level 1 Valued Member
Almost no need to write the body :)

If you were to train this lift for the last 6 months(I have newbie gained 65 pounds onto the front squat) what accessory work would increase this lift?

I guess it depends if you are weak in your upper back or quads/glutes. If it's upper back then rows/chins, if it's legs maybe paused squats if you are not doing isolation work. Deadlift and front squat seem to build each other.

Hello,

@liftit78
It can be lots of things. It depends on where you feel you have a weakness:
> abs : ab roll, HLR, HS plank, etc...
> deadlift, single leg deadlift

Kind regards,

Pet'

Goblet squat
(double) KB front squat,
deadlift variations
leg press
high bar/olympic back squat
zercher squat
heavy barbell rack holds
barbell rack walks

I'll add to previous suggestions heavy farmer and suitcase carries and TGU to improve postural capacity and alignment

EDIT: And log squats for the same reasons

Last edited:
Bergner Rack Stretch and Weighted Bar Ankle Stretch
Paused Front Squats and Front Squats Off Pins
Heavy Front Squat Walkouts and Jerk Dips

When weightlifting I liked to alternate front and back squats. The latter allow to use more weight and give a slightly different stimulus for mind and body.
I felt the back squat build the front squat rather well.

Back squats , i use front squats in programming as "position" exercise - so i would focus on back squats with one day of medium front squats

Like some other posters have mentioned, choosing accessory work all depends on where/how your front squat isn't optimal. Have you looked for an instructor, or anyone who is an expert in the front squat? Get one to spot you, see what they say.

If you can't find anyone who's opinion you trust, maybe try filming yourself doing it, and post it here. I'm sure there's a few SFL instructors who can give you some feedback.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom