all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Which COC Gripper for GTG?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Started with gripper training a few months back, I started on the Heavy Grips 100 (note: although it says 100lbs of resistance it's not as hard to close as a CoC1, apparently you can't compare ratings from different companies!). This provided plenty of resistance, and I still use it for most of my training. I initially started on GTG but felt that my hands got overworked pretty easily so since then I've swapped to just doing ladders a couple times a week. I can close a HG200 now for a few reps. Personally, I'd start with a trainer.

I've been doing Iron Mind grip training for a year, and while I was hoping to close my #2 by August, I'm closing the #1 5-times/side cleaning now. I have a trainer, 1 & 2, and on a good morning, I can close the #2 completely once with my right hand. So your GTG training is going to pay off. I have some strong patients who I hand the #1 to, and they can't close it (I've seen that happen with the trainer too). Starting with the trainer is excellent, as you'll build up volume until you're ready to buy next gripper(s).

Side note, if you're finding you have trouble engaging your pinky fingers for the grip, look at getting some IMTUG's (2-4 are a good start) to work on individual finger strength. The more I got my pinky engaged, the easier it became to close the #1. And for fun, when you have multiple grippers, you can do a set of reps with them, then hand one over to your "strong" friends and see how they measure up ;-)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom