all posts post new thread

Old Forum Which Kettlebell 1-Leg DL for PL?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Asking for myself and as an assistance exercise for a powerlifting, would you recommend a 1-kettlebell contralateral (left arm with right leg and vice versa) or a 2-kettlebell version of the 1-legged kettlebell deadlift?  Or both rotated on a schedule?

I find it easier to go heavier with the 2-kettlebell version for, I assume, reasons of balance.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Steve -

I like to mix it up. When I want to take these heavy, I add a second bell. Lately I have moved to Barbell SLDL to go even heavier..and it is a whole different story when it comes to balance with a BBell.

I'd vote for the barbell on this one also, especially if you pull conventional. i'd be interested to hear about the carryover from single leg DL to sumo if anyone has experience with that...

Steve - both patterns are great.  The contra lateral version has a tremendous stability component and is more suitable for teaching this hip to dynamically stabilize for hip and knee health.  But if strength is the goal, and you need it to translate to a traditional deadlift, then two bells will get you there faster.   The benefits for the foot, ankle, knee, hip, and trunk will still be enjoyed,  but  I would leave the CL version for correcting faculty patterns,  and program the double bell SLDL a few days off the traditional lift in a strength routine.

Thanks to everyone who's replied thus far.  FWIW, my history with this movement is interesting - the first time I tried it, and I don't even remember which way I configured it, I had difficulty walking down stairs for a week afterwards.  But after that first experience, I seem to have found whatever I was missing and the movement stays with me pretty well, even if I don't practice it much.

Today, I did contralateral 1-bell, 24 kg, for 3 touch-and-go reps each side as my re-introduction.

-S-

I asked Dan John this recently on his Q&A forum. Some great answers and also a link to a great article by Gray Cook.

www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/30889/

if the goal is strength why would you use DB or KB why not use barbell? what is the thinking here? thanks

Daniel, the 1-leg deadlift isn't a competition lift, so getting stronger at it takes on a different meaning than just poundage.  The kettlebell version, for me, is primary about moving well and then moving well under load.  I want what I learn from this movement to help make my 2-hand, 2-leg barbell DL stronger, and that doesn't necessarily mean using the same implement in the same or even a similar way.  E.g., the balance and grip components of picking up the barbell with one hand changes the focus of the movement in a way that I think isn't beneficial.  For the 2-hand, 1-leg version, the barbell begins to make more sense.

Just my opinion.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom