all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Which kettlebell programs with running?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

matteo

Level 6 Valued Member
Other than S&s which are other kettlebell programs that you have matched whit a running routine? I don't have any particular goals on running, my pace is always within my MAF number (average 135/142bpm), in particular I'd like to know if someone have combined running with other kettlebell program like Rop or Q&D.
Thanks for your inputs.
Matteo

I've had consistent success with having students follow Dan John's 'Easy Strength' (40 workouts / 5 days on / 2 days off), take 1 week off, and then start a double kettlebell program....such as double clean and press (2-3 days per week). These programs do not crush the volume so they can be performed alongside a regular running routine.

Anything antiglycolitic.
I assume you're doing lsd run. I do running with a + a. S+S is great for that also.
Yes Alexander I am doing lsd run 2 days per week with s&s 3 days per week and they work well together, but after many years of s&s I am thinking to introduce the snatches and A+A is a good choice, thanks. Can I ask you if you are following some specific protocol?

Yes Alexander I am doing lsd run 2 days per week with s&s 3 days per week and they work well together, but after many years of s&s I am thinking to introduce the snatches and A+A is a good choice, thanks. Can I ask you if you are following some specific protocol?
No. I only follow the A+A principle, and enjoy the benefits of long-time cumulative effect. Everything else depends on my work capacity specific given day. I warm-up with a lighter bell, and depending on how it feels, I determine the working weight. Reps quantity is determined by the performance quality - as soon as the hip drive and grip starts to feel weak, I quit.

Ive used the DMPM alongside endurance training successfully, and while haven’t tried it long enough for real feedback, Strength Aerobics would be worth a try.

Ok thanks all for the reply, so for summarize, some good programs to follow along easy running routine are:
A+A Snatch
Dmpm (for me is the first time I hear, very interesting! )
Strength aerobics
Simple & Sinister

Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'

It probably depends on what your goal is?

I use KB's/bodyweight, with running, but my goal is to be able to keep up good bi-pedal movement. Almost all of my "running" is at MAF pace, but I do throw in strides about once a week. I am 54 , and my "running" includes a lot of walking. I run about 6-8 hours per week.
This summer, my strength work is a basic push/pull hinge squat. On Monday I usually do pull-ups/push-ups , box step-ups, reverse lunges and a few heavy , powerful swings. From 40-100 , depending on how much time I have. On Thursday I do the same work out, minus the swings. If I had the option available, I would probably dead lift, instead of swings. I also try to throw in some TGU's, either for warp-ups or as a finishing exercise , at some point through the week.
I am running 50 miles this weekend, and depending on how that goes, I may sign up for a 24 hour race in November. After that I will be more strength oriented in my pursuits. Probably going back to S&S for awhile, and then maybe taking up Q&D. I do this every fall and winter, because of weather and hunting season.

So, like I said it depends on what your goal is. Running one day, and S&S the next, is not bad for GPP. Seven days a week, every week. You will not make huge strength, or endurance gains, but ya wont get out of shape, either.

It probably depends on what your goal is?

I use KB's/bodyweight, with running, but my goal is to be able to keep up good bi-pedal movement. Almost all of my "running" is at MAF pace, but I do throw in strides about once a week. I am 54 , and my "running" includes a lot of walking. I run about 6-8 hours per week.
This summer, my strength work is a basic push/pull hinge squat. On Monday I usually do pull-ups/push-ups , box step-ups, reverse lunges and a few heavy , powerful swings. From 40-100 , depending on how much time I have. On Thursday I do the same work out, minus the swings. If I had the option available, I would probably dead lift, instead of swings. I also try to throw in some TGU's, either for warp-ups or as a finishing exercise , at some point through the week.
I am running 50 miles this weekend, and depending on how that goes, I may sign up for a 24 hour race in November. After that I will be more strength oriented in my pursuits. Probably going back to S&S for awhile, and then maybe taking up Q&D. I do this every fall and winter, because of weather and hunting season.

So, like I said it depends on what your goal is. Running one day, and S&S the next, is not bad for GPP. Seven days a week, every week. You will not make huge strength, or endurance gains, but ya wont get out of shape, either.
Thank you Coyote for your reply, I am 38 years old and I run because I like it, for to go outside and the sense of freedom that only running can give me, and you, as a runner, know what I am talking to. On the other side I like to follow a strength routine for the many benefits that I experimented in many years of s&s. I could go on with s&s for all my lifetime but I was interested to hear other experiences and all these answers are opening my eyes. I am very intrigued from A+A Snatch, it seems a way to develop great strength and also seems to be flexible and a good combination with running.
Thank you again

I was in the best shape of my life when I did the ROP and ran on variety days. For some reason I stopped and did various other things for several years. Now I'm back to it again.

I was in the best shape of my life when I did the ROP and ran on variety days. For some reason I stopped and did various other things for several years. Now I'm back to it again.
As Dan John says, “It worked so well, I stopped doing it!”

I’ve done that before. There’s got to be a better program hiding out there somewhere, right?

Hello,

+1 @vegpedlr
I used RoP to prep for an OCR and it worked super well. RoP can be interesting for running and rucking, but up to a point it gets taxing because it remains a "peak programme". For maintenance, I tend to think that S&S with TGU and press on alternate may be a better

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

+1 @vegpedlr
I used RoP to prep for an OCR and it worked super well. RoP can be interesting for running and rucking, but up to a point it gets taxing because it remains a "peak programme". For maintenance, I tend to think that S&S with TGU and press on alternate may be a better

Kind regards,

Pet'
I use S&S and Pull-ups for OCR training lead-up. (Well.. that and a lot of running...)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom